Android devices cannot connect, while Windows can?

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
bigbearfreddy
OpenVpn Newbie

Android devices cannot connect, while Windows can?

Post by bigbearfreddy » Fri May 13, 2022 1:51 am

I'm experiencing issues connecting my Android devices to the OpenVPN server on my Synology NAS.

This was setup & tested about 3 weeks ago. Worked fine from home (inside home network, but also across mobile network.

Now on the road my Windows 11 laptop connects without any issue; using a website like What is My IP I can see all my traffic is first traveling to the VPN server a home, then onto the public internet. Also, certain video services that are only available in my home country wrok perfectly when the VPN is connected. All this is as expected.

Our Android devices however won't connect, below (and attached) the error messages we get on the devices.

I first though this might be a certificate issue so I replaced the Let's Encrypt certificate with a Sectigo certificate, generated a new profile, read that into the devices. Unfortunately, the Android devices still cannot connect. The Windows laptop works as expected.

Any idea how to resolve this?

Error messages:
This profile doesn't include a client certificate.
Continue connecting without a certificate or select one from the Android keychain?

and

There was anerror attempting to connect ot the selected server.
Error message: OpenSSLContext:SSL:Read_cleartext:BIO_read failed, cap-2576 status--1 error:1416F086:SSL routines:tls_process_server_certificate:certificate verify failed

and

There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server.
Error message: External certificate not found.
Please select proper certificate for profile.

See also:

Anonymouscoward2
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Android devices cannot connect, while Windows can?

Post by Anonymouscoward2 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:05 pm

android doesn't like the single quotes

change

verify-x509-name 'my.nas.com' name

to

verify-x509-name my.nas.com name