Smart DNS with OpenVPN

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
drravi1110
OpenVPN User

Smart DNS with OpenVPN

Post by drravi1110 » Thu May 05, 2022 9:38 am

Greetings to all geniuses
I have been using Dnsmasq and Sniproxy to filter out some domains. Also helps me watch geo restricted content.
But Sniproxy is no more updated.
So was thinking to replace Sniproxy with OpenVPN, is this possible ?
Can somebody help me with this ?

Thanking all
Regards

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Smart DNS with OpenVPN

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat May 07, 2022 3:30 pm

Hi dr,

Not sure you will find many geniuses here, but here's one familiar with networking concepts. Unfortunately I am not familiar with sniproxy, and too busy to look it up now. :)

Access Server does not provide DNS service. If you want DNS service through OpenVPN Access Server you must install and run your own DNS resolver software, or use an external resolver such as Google or Cloudflare.

You might be interested in the OpenVPN Cloud service, which does provide DNS services and filtering features.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support