Problem OpenVPN DNS

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
daniel.goes
OpenVpn Newbie

Problem OpenVPN DNS

Post by daniel.goes » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:19 pm

I have a problem and would like to see if you can help me.

I have the OpenVPN server on PFSENSE which exports the client a .ovpn file.

I take this file and import it into the OpenVPN Connect app that is available on the Play Store.

So far everything is OK, because the VPN works normally.

My problem is to access the resources I need the "names" instead of the "IP", OpenVPN is not resolving the names.

I believe that the problem is not on the server because if it is on a notebook it works normally, I believe it is on the app.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Problem OpenVPN DNS

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:27 pm

Hello daniel.goes,

Check the log which DNS server is being pushed. Then check that this DNS server actually contains the records for the names you want to resolve. You can use packet capturing on the DNS server or on the VPN server to see if the DNS requests are actually making it from the device to the DNS server, and the responses sent back. You can use this to debug this problem.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support