Help! Open VPN on Synology, new computer (win 11) doesn't work

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
w1se
OpenVpn Newbie

Help! Open VPN on Synology, new computer (win 11) doesn't work

Post by w1se » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:26 am

Hello,

I have OpenVPN installed on my Synology and it has worked great....so far.

I connect with my old computer running windows 10 and using version OpenVPN 2.5.2-I601 amd64. I have not had any problems being able to connect and then accessing all computers on my home network. For the life of me, I can't find this version of Open VPN anymore. (Edit - found this version and having the same problem after installing this older version).

Now I have tried installing OpenVPN connect ver 3 and I am able to connect fine, but I cannot access any shared folders on my network.

Can anyone suggest where I am going wrong?

Here is what I have done:

1. Export the Open VPN config file from Synology.
2. Update the file with the correct address. (no other changes made)
2. Run OpenVPN as admin.
3. import the .opvn file.

The error I get when trying to connect to a mapped folder for example is:
"An error occurred while connecting to \\ip\folder Microsoft windows netowkr: the local device name is already in use. This connection has not been restored.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Help! Open VPN on Synology, new computer (win 11) doesn't work

Post by openvpn_inc » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:18 am

Hello w1se,

Try to ping the address of the computer that has the shared network folder. If that works, but mounting the network share doesn't work, then this is not a problem with OpenVPN, but a problem with Windows network share mounting.

Kind regards,
Johan
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support