Sharing a VPN connection with another device, while only routing some traffic

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
webr
OpenVpn Newbie

Sharing a VPN connection with another device, while only routing some traffic

Post by webr » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:25 pm

Hi,

I have a use case where I would like to share my VPN connection from my Windows 10 PC with an external device (Xbox), while at the same time only routing traffic to specific IP addresses through the VPN.

I'm using an ovpn config file from NordVPN, and sharing my OpenVPN TAP adapter with a mobile hotspot activated on my PC, to which my Xbox connects. This works just fine when routing all traffic through the VPN.

However when I edit my ovpn config file to route specific IP addresses as below:

Code: Select all

client
# Added section
route xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.255
route-metric 50
route-nopull
# End added section
My Xbox cannot establish an internet connection, complaining of not being assigned an IP address. The VPN connection itself still connects, and the Xbox connects to the mobile hotspot.

Is the type of setup I'm after possible? My suspicion is somewhere along the elaborate configuration I need to assign static IP addresses.

Apologies if this isn't the right place to be looking for answers for this type of problem.

ThatLadLegend
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Sharing a VPN connection with another device, while only routing some traffic

Post by ThatLadLegend » Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:43 pm

Did you ever figure this out? I want to do something similar I believe, I have an ethernet port and a type-c adapter, one goes to my Xbox with a shared connection from VPN to Xbox and the other is from my router. I just want to not use the VPN on my PC but only on my Xbox, allowing all Xbox connections through it but just not putting any PC traffic through the VPN.