Python, macOS 12.3, and OpenVPN Connect Installer

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
aaronmjones
OpenVpn Newbie

Python, macOS 12.3, and OpenVPN Connect Installer

Post by aaronmjones » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:46 pm

The installer currently available for OpenVPN Connect 3.3.3 (4163) for macOS contains some python in the postinstall script. As Python 2.7 will not be available in macOS 12.3, which may be released as soon as early March, is there a new version of the OpenVPN Connect installer on the way that will avoid the use of Python 2.7?

aaronmjones
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Python, macOS 12.3, and OpenVPN Connect Installer

Post by aaronmjones » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:18 pm

The update for macOS 12.3 was released by Apple yesterday, 3/14. It looks like a new release of OpenVPN Connect for Mac was added on 3/8, but that installer (3.3.4 build 4269) still uses Python, and will likely fail on macOS 12.3.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Hi Aaron,

I just asked and was told that a hotfix should be ready in a week.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Fadim
OpenVPN User

Post by Fadim » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:13 pm

I just saw this topic and remembered I had the same issue back then, around the time you posted. Wanted to ask how it all panned out for you, Aaron. Did the hotfix solve the problem, or did you find a workaround? I think it'd be interesting for many, considering how often Python and VPNs cross paths in the tech world. In fact, I'm using CodeRunner (Python IDE) right now, and it works like a charm on my Mac. Found it here: https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-choose ... de-for-mac (if anyone wants to read about it).