Internet access outside the VPN

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Jtovpn+2022
OpenVpn Newbie

Internet access outside the VPN

Post by Jtovpn+2022 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Is there a way to allow normal internet access OUTSIDE the VPN while the openvpn session is still active?

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Internet access outside the VPN

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:28 pm

Hi jt,

The --redirect-gateway setting is not enabled by default, only pushed to clients when your server administrator wanted it. You need to talk to your VPN administrator. If it's OpenVPN Access Server "full tunnel" can be enabled or disabled per user. Likewise community openvpn(8) can do this by means of a --client-config-directory on the server side. That would surely be the best way for you.

But there are also various client-side settings to override it, yes. See for example --pull-filter in the manual.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Jtovpn+2022
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jtovpn+2022 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:10 am

Follow up:

From a Remote laptop
1. I'd like to connect to the home OpenVPN server (running on an Ubuntu box sitting behind a Router which must continue as the gateway and DHCP server)
2. Be able to RDP into the other devices on the LAN at home using their 192.168.30.xx address
3. Access resource on the internet - outside of the active VPN connection

What is the right mode for the OpenVPN server - Tun or Tap?

Is a server-bridge config directive required? If so, will I have to set up a bridge on the Linux box using brctl and attach the tap0 interface?

Does anyone how sample server and client config files that I can start with to help me do the above?

Thanks in advance.

Jtovpn+2022
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Jtovpn+2022 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:29 pm

The section - Using routing and OpenVPN not running on the default gateway - is exactly what I was looking for (thank you Nikita!).
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... aNycGzNCD0

Given that the above wiki page was "Last modified 6 years ago", is this still the best way to implement access to the VPN LAN and the internet?