Admin UI Login Error with Access Server

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
Legacy777
OpenVpn Newbie

Admin UI Login Error with Access Server

Post by Legacy777 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:30 pm

Hi,

I am just recently experiencing an issue when logging into the admin UI on my Access Server. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS and AS 2.10.1. The admin UI comes up fine, I enter my username and password and then get a too many redirects error come up. If I delete the trailing text from the address bar and hit enter the admin UI comes up.

I've looked in the log and am seeing lots of 302 temporary redirect errors. Below is a snippet of the three lines that are repeating.

The server has been running fine for months. I updated the server to the latest version of AS this weekend and ran into this issue when accessing the admin UI.

Any suggestions or input is appreciated. If I can get it figured out, I'll probably just back up and restore to a new VM instance.

Thanks
Josh

Code: Select all

[twisted.python.log#info] " "GET /__login__/?login-failure=SW5jb3JyZWN0IGxvZ2luLg2 HTTP/1.1" 302 59 "DOMAIN NAME:943/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/97.0.4692.99 Safari/537.36 Edg/97.0.1072.76"'
[stdout#info] Exception in requestAvatarID:  Only POST of credentials allowed'
[stdout#info] Badly formatted web login credentials: Only POST of credentials allowed: auth/webauth:56,internet/base:1295,internet/epollreactor:235,python/log:103,python/log:86,python/context:122,python/context:85,internet/posixbase:614,internet/tcp:243,internet/tcp:249,protocols/tls:335,protocols/tls:300,protocols/policies:120,web/http:3031,web/http:2312,protocols/basic:572,web/http:2162,web/http:2291,twisted/request:262,twisted/request:95,web/server:229,web/server:897,web/resource:98,web/webbase:266,twisted/guard:195,twisted/guard:225,twisted/guard:399,twisted/guard:485,cred/portal:119,internet/defer:151,auth/webauth:56,util/error:105,util/error:86 (AUTH_FORMAT_WEB)'

RobMo
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Admin UI Login Error with Access Server

Post by RobMo » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:20 pm

I have had the exact same issue after updating. The only difference is that I am on Ubuntu LTS 20.04.3

Martijn Wassenaar
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Martijn Wassenaar » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:03 pm

I have the same issue. Running on RHEL 8 downgrading from openvpn-as-2.10.1_d5bffc76-CentOS8.x86_64 to openvpn-as-2.10.0_ca1e86b5-CentOS8.x86_64.rpm resolves the issue.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:16 pm

Hi all,

Known issue, a regression in 2.10.1, a fix for which is planned for 2.10.2. For most users a downgrade to 2.10.0 is a good workaround. If necessary there are other workarounds. You can usually trim off the redirection stuff after the "/" in the URL and get connected.

This issue arises when the admin UI and the Client Web Service (CWS) are on different ports. If they are on the same port (943 being the default for both) the admin UI must have the "/admin" path appended. When on different ports, there should be no path after "hostname:port/" for either.

Sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for your patience.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Legacy777
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Legacy777 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:29 pm

Rob,

Thank you for the update on this and an explanation of why it's occurring. I'll keep an eye out for the next release.

Josh

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:09 pm

Hi all, a small update to this.

As many of you are aware, our Access Server QA team and much of the development team are located in Ukraine, and they are doing the best they can under the extraordinary circumstances. Today it was decided that this endless redirect fix is not going to be in 2.10.2; it is put off until 2.10.3. Good news is that 2.10.2 should be coming soon (there is actually a more serious regression being fixed.)

I want to remind you that the endless redirect workarounds are pretty simple. With CWS on port 987 and admin UI on 789, you can connect by simply omitting the "admin/" path from your URL: Another workaround is simply to use the same port: Again, we're sorry for the inconvenience.

We stand with Ukraine. In these difficult times we ask for your thoughts and prayers for our friends and colleagues in Ukraine, and for their families, and for their nation.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

Legacy777
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Legacy777 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:16 am

Thank you for the update and I hope your team in Ukraine is staying safe.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:09 pm

Thanks. At this time all are safe in western Ukraine. Some of the women (employees) and the family members are out of the country (men are required to remain.) More of the team seems to be functional lately (but of course not 100%.)

We sure hope and pray that this idiotic war ends before much more harm and destruction comes.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.

cun8
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by cun8 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:51 pm

Hi,

Is there any ETA for release 2.10.3, I'm facing same issue and it's really annoying.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:53 pm

I have since found that my "workaround" does not work, you still have to manually fix your multiple-redirected URL and try again. Yes, it's annoying.

The "same port" workaround does work, but some folks do not want that, wanting to protect access to the admin web UI, for example. I don't blame them, personally, but we (the company) do feel that the admin UI service is safe to expose to the Internet.

The fix is completed and tested. But there are still several other issues listed for 2.10.3 which are incomplete. So I am not sure if it will be released this coming week. Maybe the week after? We will try to post here when it's available.

Sorry, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.

jsnodgrass
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jsnodgrass » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:21 pm

We have been hit by this as well. Compliance requires that the admin console is behind a different port with different firewall rules, so the workaround of running the admin/client UIs on the same port does not work for us. Is there an ETA on when the fix might be release? Thanks!

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed May 04, 2022 1:54 pm

Hi j,

No definite ETA, but 2.10.3 is in QA testing as we speak. I am thinking next week, barring some issue being found.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.