Dedicated tap interface on the server for each client

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

iliyan85
OpenVpn Newbie

Dedicated tap interface on the server for each client

Post by iliyan85 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm

Dear all,

I tested the topology variants and read the openvpn site, but didn't find any information about the case, when each client must be connected to given tap adapter on the server side, not to the same tap.

The case is absolutely possible for implementation in ssh tunnels.

Example commands:

Code: Select all

client1@workstation1:~$ ssh -o tunnel=ethernet -w 1:1 remotehost

client2@workstation2:~$ ssh -o tunnel=ethernet -w 2:2 remotehost
The reason is that, the virtual ethernet segments must be bridged with the relevant physical ethernet segments on the both sides and must still isolated each other.

Example infra:
Physical server eth1 - bridge1 - tap1 server - TUNNEL - tap1 client1 - bridge - Physical eth to client 1 local network
Physical server eth2 - bridge2 - tap2 server - TUNNEL - tap2 client2 - bridge - Physical eth to client 2 local network
and so on.

VLAN ID assignment on tap adapters could be used, but it doesn't solve the problem in real.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Dedicated tap interface on the server for each client

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 pm

iliyan85 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm
I tested the topology variants and read the openvpn site, but didn't find any information about the case, when each client must be connected to given tap adapter on the server side, not to the same tap.

The case is absolutely possible for implementation in ssh tunnels.

Example commands:

client1@workstation1:~$ ssh -o tunnel=ethernet -w 1:1 remotehost

client2@workstation2:~$ ssh -o tunnel=ethernet -w 2:2 remotehost
And a similar approach works in openvpn. See how you are using different ssh instances? Use different openvpn instances.

A multi-client server uses a single tun/tap device to serve all clients. You can connect other clients to a different server. Or, use p2p mode. Note, each instance requires a unique port.
iliyan85 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm
The reason is that, the virtual ethernet segments must be bridged with the relevant physical ethernet segments on the both sides and must still isolated each other.

Example infra:
Physical server eth1 - bridge1 - tap1 server - TUNNEL - tap1 client1 - bridge - Physical eth to client 1 local network
Physical server eth2 - bridge2 - tap2 server - TUNNEL - tap2 client2 - bridge - Physical eth to client 2 local network
and so on.

VLAN ID assignment on tap adapters could be used, but it doesn't solve the problem in real.
What is the actual problem and goal? Why does this need tap and bridging? If it's a matter of complex access control, that can be done with tun/routing.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

iliyan85
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by iliyan85 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm

openvpn_inc wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 pm
And a similar approach works in openvpn. See how you are using different ssh instances? Use different openvpn instances.

A multi-client server uses a single tun/tap device to serve all clients. You can connect other clients to a different server. Or, use p2p mode. Note, each instance requires a unique port.

The port is the same (TCP 22) for the both commands :!: :!: :!: :!:

openvpn_inc wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:21 pm
What is the actual problem and goal? Why does this need tap and bridging? If it's a matter of complex access control, that can be done with tun/routing.

Each client MUST BE isolated in L2 ETH segment! L3 only supporting is not enough in any cases.
If openvpn implements vSwitch, the problem will be solved with 1 tap adapter and VLAN tagging.
But vSwitch is difficult for implemention. The easy way is working with multiple tap interfaces in combination with bridges on the server side.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 am

iliyan85 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm
The easy way
:D

iliyan85
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by iliyan85 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:47 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 am
iliyan85 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm
The easy way
:D
I give you advice, how to make openvpn enterprise solution. But you laugh.
At now, openvpn is appropriate for end users in apartments in residential complexes, not for in a real live.

The topic is closed.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:57 am

iliyan85 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:47 am
I give you advice
I give you advice:

You do not need a L2 bridge ... If you knew anything about computers then you would know this already.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 am

I'm not interested in the trolling, although I strongly suggest that the poster adopt a better attitude. And the topic is not closed as long as I have some interest in it. Tin and I, we are forum moderators, and we will close topics if/when necessary.

What does interest me is: why does vSwitch (I assume you are talking about Open vSwitch?) not work with openvpn tap adapters? I don't know about this, but a quick Google search found a post from 2010 which says it does. Why would it not, since the tap adapter creates and sends Ethernet packets? If something can be done with Ethernet, why not with tap?

If you have some information about this, please share. Thank you.

regards, rob0
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:44 am

openvpn_inc wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 am
What does interest me is: why does vSwitch (I assume you are talking about Open vSwitch?) not work with openvpn tap adapters?
Works for me.

My question is: Why is full L2 required if that is the very security risk itself.

(ie. Must have muggle-tap over the cursed-bridge .. must have security by complexity foo-bar !!??)