Conflicting IP's.

Use this forum to share your VPN or network disasters. Show diagrams, traffic graphs, or whatever else you need (a video of you letting the 'smoke' out of our network gear).

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Conflicting IP's.

Post by skper2 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:53 am

Hi guys,
First time. I successfully connected to my Openvpn server running Win 10! :D
My question is this: Client1 running MAC, private IP 10.8.0.6. connected to the server. And Client2 running MAC, IP 10.8.0.6. connected to the server too. Why are there 2 conflicting addresses connected at the same time? :? But, Client3 running Win10 had 10.8.0.10 which is fine. :)

Can somebody shed me some light? Thank you! ;)

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Conflicting IP's.

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm

You used the same certificate on the two machines.

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Hi TinCanTech, Thanks for the quick reply! :) Wait, aren't they supposed ( ca.crt which is the Root CA certificate) to give it to all the clients? I mean the 3rd client is the same certificate as the others and he's getting a different IP which is normal. For the mean time, I am still busy looking for the certificate ca.crt file in my Mac. Stucked, in Keychain Access, openvpn icon is locked. Tried putting the password and it's not successful. Or maybe I will try to just delete the profile under OpenVPN Connect app, so it will get rid of the conflicting IP? I appreciated your help and thank you!

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:10 pm
You used the same certificate on the two machines.
Hi TinCanTech, yes you were right about the same certificate on the 2 machines. Thanks! So, what I did was uninstalled and installed back again Openvpn 2.4.11. I successfully logged in to the server. But, when I tried to add a user by typing under easy-rsa folder build-key, it says openssl is not recognized as internal or external command. I have been doing my homework late nights on how to solve that problem with this link viewtopic.php?t=24822 8-) and I finally figured out where to put that openssl.exe in my windows PATH environment variable, under System,Advance system settings and click Environment variables. :D After I did that, went back to add a user, but it was still not successful, I forgot the message was it's not about openssl is not recognized anymore it was something else. Anyways, I got frustrated I typed vars and clean-all. Now, I am going to start a new server name again and hoping it will be ok. You mentioned, the simple way to do this is re-install openvpn correctly, you think you can show me? And also use mentioned using EasyRSA I got the 3.0.8 from github which you provided the link, thanks! How and which folder do I get into so I can go on with build-ca or build-key? I know this is too much to ask, but I'm interested to learn. I don't work in an IT department, I'm a porter as a profession in a hospital, but thinking of taking some courses to go to IT. :roll:

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:15 pm

Start from the top:
skper2 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 pm
I finally figured out where to put that openssl.exe in my windows PATH environment variable, under System,Advance system settings and click Environment variables
You should not do this. You should probably undo this change ..

If you installed Openvpn correctly then this is all setup for you.

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:18 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:15 pm
Start from the top:
skper2 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:54 pm
I finally figured out where to put that openssl.exe in my windows PATH environment variable, under System,Advance system settings and click Environment variables
You should not do this. You should probably undo this change ..

If you installed Openvpn correctly then this is all setup for you.
Ok, I will try not to touch that PATH again. Ok, thanks for the quick reply! :)

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:07 pm

Hopefully, tomorrow OpenVPN 2.5.5 will be available for download.

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:07 pm
Hopefully, tomorrow OpenVPN 2.5.5 will be available for download.
Hi TinCanTech, yup the latest version came up the next day as you predicted! :)
I took a break, I had a terrible headache doing this stuff. :lol: I installed the 2.5.5v today, but omg! it's a new thing, new CLI, I'm coming from 2.4.9v. I am stucked at the server.ovpn file edit configuration. :o I was searching if there were guides or tutorials to install this new version. Anyway, I will try to continue to solve my issue.
I hate to ask you this but, do you have any idea where I could find some guides to install this new version? I am used to the old thing.
Thank you.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:21 pm

skper2 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 pm
I hate to ask you this but, do you have any idea where I could find some guides to install this new version? I am used to the old thing.
I do not know of such a guide.

Do you mean: How to upgrade From OpenVPN 2.4 to OpenVPN 2.5 ?

Or something else ? (This is an Easy-RSA Forum).

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:23 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:21 pm
skper2 wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:59 pm
I do not know of such a guide.

Do you mean: How to upgrade From OpenVPN 2.4 to OpenVPN 2.5 ?

Or something else ? (This is an Easy-RSA Forum).
Hi TinCanTech, No, not to upgrade from OpenVPN 2.4 to OpenVPN 2.5. I completely uninstalled OpenVPN 2.4 and freshly installed OpenVPN 2.5.5
I finally found some guides, https://shebangthedolphins.net/vpn_open ... erver.html and https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/vie ... on_Windows

Now, the first guide was saying to put the files to c:\program files\openvpn\config-auto and c:\program files\openvpn\config which I did. By the way the old versions has only \config folder in which the files reside. The latest version, there are two folders \config-auto and \config to which the files reside. Boy, confusing! Now, the second link guide suggested to the \config folder only which I knew.
I tried both (guides) folders and I cannot successfully run my server. :x And here's my log error: Options error: In server.ovpn:1: Maximum option line length (256) exceeded, line starts with
#############################################
# Sample OpenVPN 2.0 config file for #
# multi-client server. #
#
# This file is for the server side #
Use --help for more information. #

I never had this errors in my previous versions before, now this latest one, I can't even run my server!
I don't understand the log error message. I followed the guides carefully.
It's 2:22am EST I'm tired.
Thanks TinCanTech! ;)

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:10 pm

skper2 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:23 am
Options error: In server.ovpn:1: Maximum option line length (256) exceeded, line starts with
# multi-client server. #
#
Edit the long line ..

\config-auto is where you put configs which you want to start at boot. Not at all confusing ..

If you are upgrading from Easy-RSA version 2 to version 3 then see:

Code: Select all

./easyrsa help upgrade

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:34 pm

TinCanTech wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:10 pm
skper2 wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:23 am
Options error: In server.ovpn:1: Maximum option line length (256) exceeded, line starts with
# multi-client server. #
#
Edit the long line ..

\config-auto is where you put configs which you want to start at boot. Not at all confusing ..

If you are upgrading from Easy-RSA version 2 to version 3 then see:

Code: Select all

./easyrsa help upgrade
Hi TinCanTech!
Sorry to bother you again, I have installed v. 2.5.5 and using the easyrsa + easytls, everything is doing fine except I cannot start the server successfully. I went back and forth 2 or 3x to install v. 2.5.5 and the old v. now I want to stick with the latest one.
Can you pls. tell me what line exactly I need to edit? I took out that long ############################# line 1 in the very top, I even took out the other line maybe line 18 same line as the top and I still can't start the server. It's so frustrating! Sorry. I am so close, but no.
I had successful run in v. 2.4.9 up until that error message build-ca.bat won't work, I can't make new clients. Now, with this new v. with easyrsa, I could make new clients with no problem until this error maximum line length 256 exceeded. Where do I find line 256 so I can correct this error? Please and thank you!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:26 pm

If you cannot figure out how to edit a file then delete the file and start over.

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:34 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:26 pm
If you cannot figure out how to edit a file then delete the file and start over.
I tried to edit the server and client files, but with no success. And suddenly I see this weird letters:
Options error: In plaza2server.ovpn:1: Maximum option line length (256) exceeded, line starts with port 1194
proto udp
dev tun

ca “C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\pki\\ca.crt”

cert “C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\pki\\issued\\plaza2server.crt”

key “C:\\Program Files\\OpenVPN\\easy-rsa\\pki\\private\\plaza2server.key”

dh â
Use --help for more information.

What letters or characters are these? I will re-install again until I am successful. Thanks bro. keep you posted.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:57 am

Oh, are you editing files in a word processor software suite ?

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:41 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:57 am
Oh, are you editing files in a word processor software suite ?
Ah, no those are the log file after I started the server with an error message. I use notepad++ to edit the .ovpn files.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:07 am

Openvpn does not produce those characters in log/config files .. your guess is as good as mine ?

notepad++ maybe doing something unexpected ..

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:07 am
Openvpn does not produce those characters in log/config files .. your guess is as good as mine ?

notepad++ maybe doing something unexpected ..
I was following this tutorial, https://supporthost.in/how-to-install-a ... indows-10/ and downloaded and unzipped the easy-tls-master folder. The instruction says to place the easytls and easytls-openssl.cnf files to the easyrsa folder, but I can't find the easytls-openssl.cnf file in the folder. Can I still generate the tls-auth file without the easytls-openssl.cnf? I actually tried it and it still generated in that folder \pki\easytls\.
Would that still work normally? Also, before I did that, I already had the ta.key file running successfully under config folder. What are the difference between those two files? And can I use them both at the same time while running the server? I know those 2 files are for the extra layer of security against DoH, port flood and so on, etc. Or can I just use either one of them is fine? I know I am asking (stupid) too much questions, sorry. By the way, I installed 2.4.11 v. and using EasyRsa3 .0.8. Because, whenever I installed the latest version for some reason I couldn't start my server, so I stick with the old. Thanks a lot! I don't work in an IT field. But, I am interested in computer security. Took some computer courses 20yrs. ago, but lately interested in going back. lol good night!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:50 pm

skper2 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 am
The instruction says to place the easytls and easytls-openssl.cnf files to the easyrsa folder
You can forget about easytls-openssl.cnf, it is now handled automatically.

skper2
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by skper2 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:12 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:50 pm
skper2 wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:11 am
The instruction says to place the easytls and easytls-openssl.cnf files to the easyrsa folder
You can forget about easytls-openssl.cnf, it is now handled automatically.
Oh, great, thanks! :)