Help Connecting to VPN Server from External Network

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
tlangfitt
OpenVpn Newbie

Help Connecting to VPN Server from External Network

Post by tlangfitt » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:35 pm

Greetings and thanks ahead of time for anyone who can help. I'm a bit of a newbie with networking however I have set up a VPN successfully before on my Raspberry Pi and now can't get my new one to work. Of note, I did not have the same internet service or router on my prior successful attempt.

So I wiped me original Raspberry Pi, installed Ubuntu, and then installed OpenVPN. As far as I can tell, it is working correctly as I can connect to it within my local network using it's router assigned IP.

For external network connections, I set up a free No-IP address, tied it to my external IP address of my router, and put the domain name xxxx.ddns.net into my OpenVPN server as the host name. I have a Verizon Fios 3100 router. I forwarded ports 443, 943, 945, and 1194 to my Raspberry Pis local IP address.

Every time I try to connect to my server with it's internal IP address I can connect no problem. However If I try to connect via xxxx.ddns.net on either Android or Windows using OpenVPN connect, I simply get an error message saying "connection error". On OpenVPNs website they have a help article to direct you to a log to help diagnose the issue, but it must be out of date because the folder names they mention do not match. I have called Verizon and they deny that they block VPN servers.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I've spent about 5 hours on this and hate coming up short.