OpenVPN Community Ubuntu Config

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
diogorafael
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Community Ubuntu Config

Post by diogorafael » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 am

Hi everyone!

Im trying to install OpenVPN on my ubuntu 20.04, to use my old computer as a VPN server.
I would like to install pivpn and pihole, but to use openvpn as a VPN server, because I have a 1gb connection, and I would like to connnect 10/15 devices simultaneously.

2 questions,
1-Even tho im using my computer as a local vpn server, I will still be able to use only the 2 free connections?
Or can I have more? Is there any tutorial or someone could please explain me this?
Im kinda confused, sorry.

2- If using 10/15 connections isnt possible, I have a purevpn account, with 10 simultaneous devices. Can I use the ovpn config files, and to put it all together into one config?

My goal, is to use the pihole in all connections, as well to have a VPN, local or using purevpn servers...
Thanks a lot :)

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN Community Ubuntu Config

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:53 am

Not a tutorial.

diogorafael wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:38 am
I will still be able to use only the 2 free connections?
Not even ..

Newcometobuildpersonalserver
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Community Ubuntu Config

Post by Newcometobuildpersonalserver » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:09 am

Q1: No, the "2 free connections" means you could have 2 connections to their server (yeah, openvpn.net actually have a business to sell the OpenVPN servers) for free as a test trial before you buy their service. You could have as many as you wish connections on your own server (as long as the hardware has enough resources).

Q2: Purevpn is actually a commerce VPN provider that provides OpenVPN connection service (they buy their server, and you just use it), but OpenVPN is open-sourced, we are talking about how to build your own server for yourself. Here is an article you might be interested in to solve your problem. (Short answer, no, but you can make one personal OpenVPN server to solve it). viewtopic.php?t=21535