About vpn disconnection

blackexpresso
OpenVPN User

About vpn disconnection

Post by blackexpresso » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi,

I use windows 10 pr 64 up to date, and latest openvpn without modifications.

I 've made a test, disconnecting ethernet cable from computer during vpn is connected.

The openvpn icon show all is ok and ethernet too because of the vpn is connected.

But the ethernet cable is i my hand....

After, i can connect again the ethernet cable and...nothing happened, i can use wild without the vpn....

But the vpn shows all is ok man!

So...; Why there is not a system to verify all second, if the vpn is ok from user to server.

What about a chain of bit, between client and server, up and down. If the chain is broken, the vpn is disconnected and openvpn can show notification and stop all internet traffic?

It will be very nice.

I'm just user, not engineer sorry if it's stupid.

Thank

novaflash
I should be on the dev team.

Re: About vpn disconnection

Post by novaflash » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:59 pm

> So...; Why there is not a system to verify all second, if the vpn is ok from user to server.

Because then every time you have the slightest interruption, you would get notifications. But if you really want this, you should read the manual about ping-restart and ping-exit and such. You can set things up in the most annoying way possible, if you really want to. But we prefer to live in the real world and apply some sensible timeouts.

> After, i can connect again the ethernet cable and...nothing happened, i can use wild without the vpn....

If you use persist-tun and full-tunnel redirection, traffic stays routed into the VPN adapter even when the VPN connection is in reconnecting state. You would lose Internet access until the tunnel reestablished but you'd be safe from 'wild without the vpn' whatever that exactly means. It's all in the manual.

blackexpresso
OpenVPN User

Post by blackexpresso » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 am

Ok, and i remember the "killswitch" option exist.

I have to learn how to do with openvpn.

If the hardware is disconnected and the computer see it, i don't understand why the app doesn't see it..

I don't speak about short interruption but i"ve test more than 10 seconds...no reaction.

It will be very nice for the users, to help in this situation to have the best security.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to have help.

I will read again the manual. but i'm French, not engineer and i maybe don't understand how.

I've to read all for find what i want.

but, this is a start, i understand it's possible to do something...but why it's not in ovpn files and second why nobody want to explain clearly.

Thanks to answer.

Have a good day.

novaflash
I should be on the dev team.

Post by novaflash » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Yeah, you're not thinking about the realities of how computers work.