Openvpn route to many sites witg same subnet

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
antleo
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn route to many sites witg same subnet

Post by antleo » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:37 am

I believe this is possible, I'm just not sure how. What we are trying to do is tunnel out from several client sites to our server, these client sites could have the same or different subnets. The server needs to be able to communicate to each site, while the sites should be segregated from each other. The clients will all have several IOT sensors on site which our server will pull the data from. I believe it'd be best to use a routed VPN but I'm not sure how to or if it's possible to distinguish the routes based on the ovpn client ip address (sort of like a layer 3 version a vlan tag?).

Did that make sense? Is this possible
What's the best way to accomplish this?
I really appreciate any and all help

flint2003
OpenVPN User

Re: Openvpn route to many sites witg same subnet

Post by flint2003 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:21 am

Hi antleo!
I've got the same issue: the OpenVPN server is placed in the Azure Cloud (10.0.0.0/24). I've got four clients which are placed in the same subnet 172.18.9.0/24.
I noticed that the last connected client has got the full valuable connection. Other three clients can ping the OVPN server but they are not pinged from the OVPN Server. Also, the interesting fact is that these three clients can connect to the OPenVPN server's host machine with the RDP(!)
I use the tun mode. As far as I have read here in the forum I need to use the tap mode. But I need more efforts and time to investigate this opportunity