Minimize idle trafic. Keepalive, reconnect

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.
tdh10
OpenVpn Newbie

Minimize idle trafic. Keepalive, reconnect

Post by tdh10 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:00 am

I am using Sierra Wireless cellular gateways on field devices. The Sierra Wireless only supports UDP client mode. I am also using AT&T Internet of Things (IoT) data plans. These plans start at 500KB / month. The plans I use depend on location and field device but let's say on average I need 20MB per month for my data transfer.

I am finding that the Keepalive traffic is substantial in comparison to my plan and I am wondering how best to deal with this. If I turn off Keepalive all together, will I be causing more issues that it's worth? Would a more stable connection be worth the cost leaving Keepalive settings alone?

To disable Keepalive, do I just remove the keepalive setting from the server config or should I set it to "keepalive 0 0". I don't have access to a full config file on the client. The Sierra Wireless only gives me a few parameters to modify. So on the client, I can only change the Ping Interval and Tunnel Restart values.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Minimize idle trafic. Keepalive, reconnect

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Turning keepalive off (--keepalive 0 0) will disable ping and ping-restart .. which is probably not what you want.

I have some experience in this field, if you want you can contact me privately
tincanteksup <at> gmail