Openvpn not hide my ISP IP on the same server where is installed service.

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.
Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
debek
OpenVpn Newbie

Openvpn not hide my ISP IP on the same server where is installed service.

Post by debek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 am

Hi!
I have a problem.

I have got a server(XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1) with:
- openvpn (server)
- apache (htpasswd access + whitelist IP)
- ssh port 22 which allow root login only from whitelist IP

1) After connect to my openvpn XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1 when I try connect to ssh (XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1), logs show my oryginal ISP IP address and I cant connect to server.
2) After connect to my openvpn XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1 when I trying connect to apache(XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1), htpasswd want from me password because it see my ISP IP than openvpn IP.
3) After connect to my openvpn XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1 when enter to dnsleaktest.com grom my firefox or chrome I can see Openvpn IP address correct(XXX.XXX.XXX.XX1).

How Can I solve it? Where is the problem?
I know that openvpn is on the same machine as apache and ssh but I think that should work correctly.

thorfix
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Openvpn not hide my ISP IP on the same server where is installed service.

Post by thorfix » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:13 am

Hi Bro,
Well, I honestly hope that somebody explain for us how openvpn can hide real ISP IP for DNS leak and whats my ip check...???

Back for you case, try:
1) Connect to vpn, so try to connect to ssh server via vpn IP like e.g 10.8.0.1. Remember to apply directive "route" to subnets into server side file.
2) Apply IP/Port forward to all devices (routers, proxies, etc) that you want to connect to your vpn
3) Don't forget iptables rules to open special ports/protocols that you will use like (22, 443, 1194, etc) and client machine as well. (firewall windows maybe)
4) For DNS leaktest try to apply directive --block-outside-dns to your client side. Have a look in The Manual page v23x available ---->> (https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... n23ManPage) .
5) Connect to vpn and then try traceroute command to any site to you check results about traffic and routes if correct or not.?

So, a question, after you connect to vpn with client user and enter to dnsleaktest.com you can see real ISP IP or VPN SERVER IP?
Are you able to ping any intern IP behind server network from client machine logged in the vpn server?

I hope tips above can help you to fix all issues. Cheers !