Works On WIFI, Not On Mobile Data

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
mike100
OpenVpn Newbie

Works On WIFI, Not On Mobile Data

Post by mike100 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:36 am

I've used Open VPN for a few years with zero issues on HTC phones.

I've recently encountered a very frustrating problem after purchasing a new phone (HTC Max M8 - TMobile) in that my vpn connects absolutely fine over wifi but will not connect over mobile data and hangs at "Waiting for server reply."

I know the basic set up is right because it works over wifi and I am experienced with the product, I suspect this is a T Mobile issue.

Does anyone know of any settings I need to change to make this work over mobile data, or has anyone else experienced this same issue after upgrading to a newer phone?

Thanks In Advance

mike100
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Works On WIFI, Not On Mobile Data

Post by mike100 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:40 pm

I have found the solution and am posting the answer in an effort to save other people the countless hours I spent on Google.

This thread explains the exact nature of my problem: http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/6080 ... 0&tstart=0

The issue is the insistence of HTC and TMobile using IPv6 by default in Access Point Names, and then compounding that by greying out Access Point Names so they cannot be edited.

The solution is this: Create a new access point using the exact same details as fast.tmobile.com access point. You can even call it fast.tmobile.com (2) as I did. The only thing you change is under "APN Protocol," which you make IPv4. Save the settings and reboot.

You will now find - as I did - you can now connect to open vpn via mobile data.

This is an issue between HTC and TMobile but something Open VPN should be aware of.

dawansv
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by dawansv » Wed May 10, 2023 2:09 am

Here we are 9 years later and this old post saved me. I was having the same issue on my new pixel 6a. Working fine over wifi, yet no traffic going through on mobile network. Sure enough the culprit was still t-mobile only enabling ipv6 in the APN. So I did recteate a new APN with all the same settings except for ipv4 and sure enough it works!

Acesonnall
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Acesonnall » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:17 pm

dawansv wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 2:09 am
Here we are 9 years later and this old post saved me. I was having the same issue on my new pixel 6a. Working fine over wifi, yet no traffic going through on mobile network. Sure enough the culprit was still t-mobile only enabling ipv6 in the APN. So I did recteate a new APN with all the same settings except for ipv4 and sure enough it works!
Damn, straight. Pretty incredible that I found this considering the chances of someone else with a Pixel 6A using OpenVPN on a T-Mobile Network (via Mint Mobile) were arguably low.

Solution worked for me too. Here's what I did:

1. Open Settings: On your Pixel 6A, tap on the "Settings" app.

2. Access APN Settings (Two Ways):
  • Via Network & Internet: Scroll down and tap on "Network & Internet" > "Mobile Network" > "Advanced" > "Access Point Names (APN)."
  • Via Search: Tap on the search icon in the "Settings" app and type "APN." Tap on "Access Point Names" from the search results.
3. Create a New APN: Tap on the "+" symbol or "Add" to create a new APN.

4. Enter APN Details: Enter the details exactly as they are in the existing T-Mobile APN. Here's an example: 5. Change the APN Protocol: Change the "APN Protocol" setting to "IPv4."

6. Save the New APN: Tap on the three dots in the top-right corner and select "Save."

7. Select the New APN: Tap on the new APN to select it.

8. Reboot Your Device: Turn off and restart your device.

9. Test Your VPN Connection: Try connecting to your OpenVPN server over mobile data.

This change to the APN Protocol from IPv6 to IPv4 resolved the issue for me, and my VPN now works over cellular data. Hope this helps someone else out there with the same setup!