Subnets *must* be different?

Scripts to manage certificates or generate config files

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

DiBosco
OpenVpn Newbie

Subnets *must* be different?

Post by DiBosco » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 am

I have successfully set up connection to my local network and can access my mysql server on my LAN from remote locations.

However, while trying to demonstrate to my friend today from his house, I couldn't actually connect whereas before I've been able to. One thing that has occurred to me is that his subnet is 192.168.0.x as is mine. Is this a problem? I would have originally assumed not, because once i connect to my network I lose local connections to Internet etc and it seems like I'm routed directly through to *my* network.

If this is an issue, is there anything I can do other than ensure my network's on a different subnet? I'm not sure I like that "solution" because there's no way, surely, I can always be confident my LAN is always going be on a different subnet?

Thanks!

janjust
Forum Team

Re: Subnets *must* be different?

Post by janjust » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 am

in a routed setup, the LAN subnets on both sides AND the VPN subnet all need to be different; there is no magic solution for this , and using 192.168.0./24 is asking for subnet clashes; I normally use 172.16.x for my VPN subnet and use a non-standard 192.168.Y subnet for my home LAN - this is still no guarantee, however.

IPv4 subnet routing can be a hassle when dealing with unknown networks, and there's nothing that openvpn can do to change that.