Help with getting easy-rsa 3 to work Windows 10 (when works fine on other 2x box)

Support forum for Easy-RSA certificate management suite.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

senrabdet
OpenVpn Newbie

Help with getting easy-rsa 3 to work Windows 10 (when works fine on other 2x box)

Post by senrabdet » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:37 pm

Hi All:

Can anyone share for windows 10 pro (both for client and server) and easy-rsa 3 (from OpenVPN-2.5.1-I601-amd64.msi), a working:
- commands used in EasyRSA-Start.bat
- server.ovpn
- client.ovpn

or a good "how to" site that outlines these for a windows 10 pro client and server?

I can share my configs and commands, but using four different but pretty much same win10 pro boxes (1 client/server set using 2x, older key generation using vars.bat and init-config etc, and a different client/server pair using easy-rsa 3), have the older 2x working to the same lan ip, same firewall sets etc. and think the problem is in my configs and the way I'm generating the keys.

I.e.,
- static lan ip, port forwarding on my firewall, no windows firewall on server, with older 2x on win10pro client and win10server, can connect (wuhu)
- then, release ip, assign it to a different windows 10 server with keys generated from 3x and using different windows 10 client, no joy

So before posting all that I'm doing wrong was hoping someone could share working examples.

Thx....am bleary from trying to get this to work.
Last edited by senrabdet on Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Help with getting easy-rsa 3 to work Windows 10 (when works fine on other 2x box)

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:44 pm

senrabdet wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:37 pm
am bleary from trying to get this to work
Take a break .. and let your brain recover.

What you have outlined above is of no value for debugging because you are trying to solve problem X
by adjusting setting Y.. the two are not related.

For help with easyrsa version 3 use: ./easyrsa help

For help with your VPN please see: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22603
Read the entire post.

Eventually, you may also like to try:
https://github.com/TinCanTech/easy-tls

But i suggest you take a break first ..

senrabdet
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Help with getting easy-rsa 3 to work Windows 10 (when works fine on other 2x box)

Post by senrabdet » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 pm

Thx, aware that is "standard approach", to post logs, configs etc., what's asked for in viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22603 (again thx). While no expert, having been using ovpn for about a decade and figured might be easier to start with working examples for win10 if possible (i.e., firewall settings are the same between my two setups, network is the same, win10 is the same so was hoping only variables are ovpn files, open vpn and easy-rsa versions and how I'm generating certs) if available but will post my config stuff if no one responds. Have tried what I found on open vpn community site, as well as a bunch of other sites. Thx again for your response (I'm probably doing something dumb)...appreciate it:)

senrabdet
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by senrabdet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:28 pm

Follow up....I think I found what I was looking for in the following: https://shebangthedolphins.net/vpn_open ... erver.html

Not owning the url name:)

So approach was (to start), rather than debugging.....I had windows 10 firewall off on server & I thought my router/firewall port forwarding was right (was working on older openvpn configs), and assumed there was something wrong with my configs or way I was generating keys using Easy-Rsa 3. Assumption was if I could start with a "known good" and get that working, then tweak from there (rather than trouble shoot something I had no idea if it would ever work). I.e., many of the how tos I tried didn't seem to work (may have been user error), and it was hard to tell if they ever would. In any event, I liked this site's content because it was clear, and boiled things down to "very simple", and for me on windows 10 (both client and server) works. From here, I can tweak my settings out further to add passwords, additional elements to setting up firewall, keys and configs.