Windows - Easy-RSA Missing files - vars.bat init-config.bat

Support forum for Easy-RSA certificate management suite.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

OpenMat
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows - Easy-RSA Missing files - vars.bat init-config.bat

Post by OpenMat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 am

Hi All,

Just tried installing OpenVPN on a Windows 10 box for the first time but am falling at the first hurdle. Am following

Code: Select all

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide
Downloaded OpenVPN-2.5.0-I601-amd64.msi and selected 'Customize' to include easy-rsa (full feature).

Following the instructions, I am supposed to run init-config in C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa

However, cannot find init-config; doesnt seem to exist. Have searched the whole of C drive (incase it is installed elsewhere but cannot locate the file anywhere).

Have also tried different install configurations but none seem to install init-config (bat or exe, whatever it is)

Obviously I'm doing something basically wrong as other guides also state init-config must be executed and I cant see any other people having this issue; but cannot work out what I'm doing wrong. Is the MSI the correct file to use?

OpenMat
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: init-config missing?

Post by OpenMat » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 am

I believe 2.5.0 installation MSI is broken (I may be very wrong here, it could be the instructions that are now wrong). I unstalled 2.5.0 and tried 2.4.9 install executable; that works great and init-config gets installed nicely.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:49 am

OpenVPN 2.5.0 comes with Easy-RSA version 3.

w1se
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by w1se » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:00 pm

I had the same problem as OP...never used openVPN before and got stuck. ALL instructions including those on the openvpn.net initial install instructions website state to run init-config which is missing.

Does Easy-RSA version 4 replace this? Can you point to instructions?

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:31 pm

I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:09 pm

w1se wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:00 pm
Easy-RSA version 4
w1se .. :lol:

JmLec
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by JmLec » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:15 pm

The tutorials are not up to date. 2 months that I'm desperately trying to get an answer from the community. Either we laugh at you or no one answers.
After painstaking research, and if it helps:
on C: \ Program Files \ OpenVPN \ easy-rsa launch EasyRSA-Start.bat and type the command ./easyrsa init-pki.
For me I get the following error the answer is:
# ./easyrsa init-pki

Easy-RSA error:

Temporary directory 'C:/Program Files/OpenVPN/easy-rsa/pki/easy-rsa-10824.a03488' does not exist

Easy-RSA error:

Failed to create temporary file

Some prefer to answer that Windows sucks when it seems to have the answer. I wonder if the time is taken to take an interest in the matter ??? In the meantime, is this an Easy-rsa fault? While waiting for a concrete and relevant answer, should the stand-alone version of Easy-
RSA independently of OpenVPN or simply perform a root installation?

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:43 pm

It is very easy to make it work and windows dont work well with Easy-RSA , it is better to install openvpn on Linux so more help available

if you like to use it on windows , windows certificate service is more than can do certificate and more faster or XCA can do the same as Easy-RSA . if you like the route Easy-RSA so just do it and help community by document it when you finish so other people can learn from you.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm

300000 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:43 pm
windows dont work well with Easy-RSA
EasyRSA 3 works exactly the same on Windows as it does in Linux.

lordbusiness
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by lordbusiness » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:21 pm

If you post to support requests saying one of the following:
1. "I don't know why you're having problems"
2. "Duh, just use Linux"
3. "It's supposed to be working."
4. "Read (the pointlessly out-of-date) docs."

Then just don't post at all, please. Your embarrassing answers just further frustrate people who are trying to get OpenVPN working. The neckbeard-like preening just makes the whole open source community look bad.

@LmLec Use "./easyrsa init-pki nopass" This will omit password protecting the CA private key. I don't know why this doesn't work on Windows.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:15 pm

lordbusiness wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:21 pm
@LmLec Use "./easyrsa init-pki nopass" This will omit password protecting the CA private key. I don't know why this doesn't work on Windows.
Option nopass is not supported by init-pki. Please get your facts right.

freddehboy
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by freddehboy » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:04 pm

OpenMat wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 am
Hi All,

Just tried installing OpenVPN on a Windows 10 box for the first time but am falling at the first hurdle. Am following

Code: Select all

https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/wiki/Easy_Windows_Guide
Downloaded OpenVPN-2.5.0-I601-amd64.msi and selected 'Customize' to include easy-rsa (full feature).

Following the instructions, I am supposed to run init-config in C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\easy-rsa

However, cannot find init-config; doesnt seem to exist. Have searched the whole of C drive (incase it is installed elsewhere but cannot locate the file anywhere).

Have also tried different install configurations but none seem to install init-config (bat or exe, whatever it is)

Obviously I'm doing something basically wrong as other guides also state init-config must be executed and I cant see any other people having this issue; but cannot work out what I'm doing wrong. Is the MSI the correct file to use?
Hi

I have also installed the OpenVPN-2.5.(1)-I601-amd64.msi and the init-config command did not work. But tried with OpenVPN-2.5.1-I601-amd64.exe. The init-config command does work now!

amadius
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by amadius » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:22 pm

Installed OpenVPN by OpenVPN-2.5.1-I601-amd64.msi and init-config.* not :( found.
Dear sirs there is little to discuss ... if the installer doesn't work well just admit it ... unless you are boycotting Windows ...

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:34 pm

Easy-RSA 3 DOES NOT HAVE `init-config`.

Did you even bother to read this thread ?

See the help for Easy-RSA version 3..... :roll: :lol:

@ MOD .. Is it possible to lock this thread with an Official OpenVPN statement ? Please.

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:16 am

Ok, locked.

Yes, not all docs are up to date, if one figured it out one is welcome to edit/add to it...

The ones who actually read this thread, the link to the doc is given...
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp