Asus RT-AC68 w/Merlin can only save one UN/PW per server?

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

erkme73
OpenVpn Newbie

Asus RT-AC68 w/Merlin can only save one UN/PW per server?

Post by erkme73 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:16 pm

I realize this is probably more firmware specific than an OpenVPN issue, but for lack of any other place to seek help, I'm hoping that someone here may know how to get around this apparent limitation.

Under the Merlin firmware (386.2-beta1), under VPN/OpenVPN server, I've successfully generated and applied the ovpn config files and they work perfectly on multiple android devices (using openvpn connect) - however, I am only able to save a single username/password credential set under the Asus-Merlin server page. The page says "Username and Password (max limit: 32)"

While I see a default one (with my router admin user account), and the one I created for myself, when I try to add a third one, it vanishes as soon as I click "apply".

I fill out the creds, click the "+" icon, at which point the new creds are shown in the list with the existing two, and then I click "apply". When it comes back from the "updating" box, the new one is gone.

I've tried this with VPN connected, disconnected, cleared to defaults, rebooted router - all of them limit me to a single account.

Is this a limitation of the router or VPN that I can only have a single VPN client account?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Asus RT-AC68 w/Merlin can only save one UN/PW per server?

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:21 pm

You are probably trying to configure multiple passwords for different users of the VPN.
Your router does not do that for you, it is done by setting up openvpn correctly.

erkme73
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by erkme73 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:39 am

I suppose that is likely. However, prior to moving to Merlin version of the firmware, the stock Asus OpenVPN server did allow me to specify multiple user names and passwords on that same page. In fact, I had four unique users (each with their own passwords) all operating with the same .ovpn config client file generated by the router and imported into the client devices.

I'll be the first to admit that I have less than zero comprehension of the terminology and technology that makes it work. But, I really don't understand why the page shows a field for adding UN/PW with a limit of 32. I would have thought that if the per-user credentials are generated by the router during the certificate creation, those fields wouldn't be there, no?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:14 am

I know this sounds dumb .. but ask Merlin .. or the Wizard of Oz ;)

Somebody may know but I don't..

You can probably script it all yourself, it's not that difficult.

Here is one I knocked up for fun:
https://github.com/TinCanTech/easy-tls