Double VPN on iOS

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
anony
OpenVpn Newbie

Double VPN on iOS

Post by anony » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:17 am

Hello OpenVPN community,

I been loving the OpenVPN app and using it daily. I’m grateful for this development and service. I would really like to double vpn though. Could a higher level tech help me learn how to double vpn on iOS?

anony
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Double VPN on iOS

Post by anony » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 am

OpenVPN community,

I have learned how to double vpn by 2 different ways for iOS. The problem I have now, is that with either way I can’t do it within the OpenVPN app. One of the ways I have learned is using another platform’s app that makes double vpn possible. So, I know double vpn could be implemented into OpenVPN for iOS. I really appreciate and enjoy using OpenVPN and because of this, I’d like to request adding a server that would be able to run a vpn through another vpn into OpenVPN.

openvpn_inc
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by openvpn_inc » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Hi There,

When you say 'double VPN' do you mean the ability to have more than one OpenVPN connection profile on iOS, and connecting one at a time, separately? So you can switch from one VPN server to another. If so, that functionality is supported.

Or do you mean that you establish a VPN tunnel from this iOS device to OpenVPN server A, and then over that active VPN tunnel, establish another VPN tunnel from this same iOS device to another OpenVPN Server B? If so, that functionality is not supported, and we have no plans to add it either. OpenVPN Connect is limited to just one active VPN tunnel at a time, mostly because of the issue we have experienced where people establish multiple connections at the same time and then wonder why things are not working correctly. Routing issues can be encountered very easily then, and unless you know exactly what you're doing, things are going to break, and traffic might go in places you do not expect it to go, which could be a security issue by itself.

I hope that answers your questions.

Kind regards,
Crowley
Image OpenVPN Inc.
Answers provided by OpenVPN Inc. staff members here are provided on a voluntary best-effort basis, and no rights can be claimed on the basis of answers posted in this public forum. If you wish to get official support from OpenVPN Inc. please use the official support ticket system: https://openvpn.net/support

anony
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by anony » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:02 am

Crowley of OpenVPN,

I meant establishing a VPN tunnel from my iOS device to an OpenVPN server A, and then over that active VPN tunnel, establish another VPN tunnel from this same iOS device to another OpenVPN Server B. I understand the routing issues because I’ve been experimenting with doing it. You’re right it could cause security issues. I have more to learn but I understand why you don’t want to support this.

Hear me out though, let’s brainstorm on some idea’s that’d fix my security concerns and if OpenVPN would agree on supporting it, I think it’d benefit all users of OpenVPN.
Is it possible for the OpenVPN app to switch the VPN connection profile I lost connection to, and try connecting to another VPN profile, instead of trying to connect back to the same VPN connection profile?

I commend OpenVPN for its Seamless Tunnel function, so, I’d want any internet connection to my iPhone blocked for the time it takes to switch my VPN profile, that gets paused, loses connection or any reason possible a VPN would need to reconnect, to another VPN profile.