Help please - 'Always-on VPN' option not selectable on my set top box

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Brighty
OpenVpn Newbie

Help please - 'Always-on VPN' option not selectable on my set top box

Post by Brighty » Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:23 am

Hi guys,

I have used OpenVPN Connect many times on Android phones and on a Firestick, but am stumped as to how to use it on my Android set top box.

My Z-Stream Android box uses an Ethernet connection to the Internet, and OpenVPN Connect is installed and a working profile imported, it connects and shows data being transferred, but then when I go back to the box's home screen to open another app, OpenVPN closes and cuts the VPN.
The box's advance settings>network>vpn shows OpenVPN Connect. The dots at the OpenVPN screen top right show the option 'Always-on VPN' but if I select it, a box appears with a single radio button with 'none' checked (saying that I don't have a VPN profile which I can select to remain always connected). I dont know if this is because the VPN is not running at the time (as it closes when I navigate away from the open app itself)?

So I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks kindly.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Help please - 'Always-on VPN' option not selectable on my set top box

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:12 am

If you use your own VPN server on a Linux or Windows box then we may be able to help.

Please fill in the substantial blanks in your question by reading this entire thread:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22603

If you are using a server which you do not own then ask the person who does own it.

Brighty
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Brighty » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:36 am

Thank you. I subscribe to an excellent vpn service who have very good Windows support but sadly are not too good on Android, except for providing an .ovpn file to save me having to compile one.

I'll give it up as a bad job and only use Firestick, where OpenVPN Connect works out of the box.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:39 pm

You would probably have more luck asking on a google-group for Android "what-ever" ..
We don't know anything about your set top box.