Garbage in syslog

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
zenon
OpenVpn Newbie

Garbage in syslog

Post by zenon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:42 pm

The log of bad routing contains a lot of garbage, like this (scroll to end of line):

Code: Select all

openvpn[902]: RwrWRwRwrWRwrWRwRwrWRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWrWRwRwrWrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRwRwrWRahostname/192.168.2.3:59772 MULTI: bad source address from client [10.10.0.1], packet dropped
This is two separate problems: (a) the routing and (b) the garbage. Does anyone know how to get rid of the garbage while keeping the log of bad source address packerts? openvpn is 2.4.10.

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: Garbage in syslog

Post by Pippin » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:55 pm

You have to adjust the --verb directive.
See
--verb n
in manual 2.4:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... n24ManPage
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

zenon
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by zenon » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:44 pm

Aha, indeed. Thanks Pippin. I had 'verb 3' everywhere, except in one server config where it was 5. I'll walk over to the mirror and have a stern word with the guy who put it there and then forgot all about it.

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:52 pm

Be lenient, maybe there was good reason...
;)
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp