Getting started for DDWRT router

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Open288
OpenVpn Newbie

Getting started for DDWRT router

Post by Open288 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Im new to OpenVPN.
Im trying to generate the various files neeted for Openvpn to function on my DDWRT router.

Ive tried reading a lot but as with new things there is much to come up to speed on.

It seems my first problem that I have been frustrated by is that the varous commands Im told to run dont seem to exist on my install of OpenVPN on my computer. I have installed RSA 3. with I think OpenVPN Gui v11.20.0.0 but then when I'm told to run init-config it does not run, and I cant see the file anywhere in my install. then I see a command build-df, I cant see that either. niether of these files are found?

I'm running windows, What should I install if all I want to do is generate the right files for my router, I dont actually need openvpn my computer, (not even the client) since this workstation is not going to be used for VPNIng.
Obvously in the great deal of material out there on these topics I have under read somthing.

Thank you
Regards

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Getting started for DDWRT router

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:27 pm

Open288 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:24 pm
What should I install if all I want to do is generate the right files for my router
Easyrsa3
https://github.com/OpenVPN/easy-rsa/releases

Open288
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Open288 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Thank you. I actually did dl this, and installed but was unclear if it was right. I was confused.
Thanks I will start there.
Regards

OpenVPN Expert

Post by 300000 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:09 pm

if that too trouble for you so try to find other more easy to do certificates for you , XCA is the most easy and very quick to make all kind of certificate for your router requirement.

download XCA and create certificate and put everything into dd wrt router should work for you. make sure you need to set time serer on dd wrt so time is correct , if not set it will time arount 1970 so it cant connect .