Cannot attach to Access Server

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
chuckhager
OpenVpn Newbie

Cannot attach to Access Server

Post by chuckhager » Fri May 29, 2020 2:00 am

I thought I'd give OpenVPN Access Server a try and see if I could use it to replace our Microsoft L2TP/IPsec server.

1.) I installed Ubuntu 18.04.4 and the installed OpenVPN Access Server using the scripts.
2.) I opened ports 443 and 1194 on our router and pointed them to the IP address of the OpenVPN Access Sever.

I can successfully log into the Admin UI and the User UI from outside our network using the openvpn admin username and password..

Next, I log into the User UI and click the "OpenVPN Connect Recommended for your device" to download and install the OpenVPN Connect Setup Wizard. So far so good.

When I launch OpenVPN connect, I click on the "OpenVPN Profile" that was created by the installation wizard and enter my username and password. (NOTE: I'm using the openvpn admin username and password since I know that account works.)

After about a minute, it times out with the following error message. "There was an error attempting to connect to the selected server" With the option to, "Cancel" or "Retry"

When I click on the log file icon it states, "You don't have any logs yet."

What am I missing? What step did I miss?

chuckhager
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Cannot attach to Access Server

Post by chuckhager » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:19 am

I got it working, and this is what I had to do. (There must be an easier way!)

1.) I went back into the User UI and clicked on, "Yourself (user-locked profile)" under the section titled, "Available Connection Profiles:"
This downloaded a file named "client.ovpn"

2.) Then I had to edit two lines in this file.
a. The first place was the line, "#OVPN_ACCESS_SERVER_WSHOST=192.168.1.22:443"
I changed the 192.168.1.22 to our public IP address.
b. The second place was the line, "remote 192.168.1.22 443 tcp"
I changed the 192.168.1.22 to our public IP address.

Once I imported this modified profile, I was able to connect.

My question now is, is there something I can change on the OpenVPN Access Server so I don't have to edit this file for every user? I would love for all the users to use the User UI to download the OpenVPN-Connect along with their client.ovpn profile and have it work like it's suppose to.