Windows cannot verify digital signature on TAP-Windows adapter V9

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
cj4js747
OpenVpn Newbie

Windows cannot verify digital signature on TAP-Windows adapter V9

Post by cj4js747 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice\help, please.
I'm new to VPNs and OpenVPN is my first attempt at setting one up.

I have followed the instructions (taking great care) and everything installed as expected, also I configure my firewall and router as required, but I'm unable to connect to the server from my client so after closer inspection, I noticed the dependency 'Tap-Windows Adapter V9' had an issue, see below:

"Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

I have trying uninstalling and re-installing the TAP device, but no luck :-(

Has anyone else seen this problem before and were you able to fix it?
I'm installing OpenVPN on a Windows SBS 2011 server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Apologies if this has been asked before but I could not find a related question in the forums.

Many thanks,

Chris

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Windows cannot verify digital signature on TAP-Windows adapter V9

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:39 pm

cj4js747 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:31 pm
I'm installing OpenVPN on a Windows SBS 2011 server.
I do not know enough about Windows versions to give a precise answer but we do not specifically test for SBS 2011 compatibility. We do test for other versions of Windows, so perhaps SBS 2011 is not officially supported.

Also, which version of OpenVPN are you trying to install ? (Hint: Try installing 2.3.18)

cj4js747
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Windows cannot verify digital signature on TAP-Windows adapter V9

Post by cj4js747 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:40 pm

Thank you, I will give that a try and report back.

Much appreciated :-)

Chris