iPhone iOS (13.3.1) Settings app OpenVPN Profile not working (works in OpenVPN client)

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
Earlyflash
OpenVpn Newbie

iPhone iOS (13.3.1) Settings app OpenVPN Profile not working (works in OpenVPN client)

Post by Earlyflash » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi all,

Strange error here.

I've got a OpenVPN profile I've imported into the OpenVPN iOS app on my iphone (just downloaded from the app store), and it works absolutely fine, press connect, ocnnects, no issues.

iOS Seems to have imported the VPN setup correctly to the iphone.

When I go to the iOS settings app and hit 'connect' on the 'VPN' it switches to green instantly, the 'Connecting...' flashes up, but it never actually connects. About 30s later, the selector moves back to 'dark', but no errors appear, nothing.

The server side, doesn't even seem to receive a connection request (as far as I can see).

I guess a bug in the way the connection is registered in iOS? But for now I have to do everything via the OpenVPN applciation itself ... sigh.

I also found someone else in ServerFault with the same issue:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/598 ... it-used-to

mdibella
OpenVPN Power User

Re: iPhone iOS (13.3.1) Settings app OpenVPN Profile not working (works in OpenVPN client)

Post by mdibella » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:48 pm

This is by design. SSL-based VPN connections on iOS must be initiated within the helper app unless the profile is configured for auto-connect.

Earlyflash
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: iPhone iOS (13.3.1) Settings app OpenVPN Profile not working (works in OpenVPN client)

Post by Earlyflash » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:51 am

Oh that's interesting! Strange UI for it though, but hey-ho.

Is that by design of Apple or OpenVPN?

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:37 pm

mdibella's post seems to indicate that it's an Apple requirement.
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp

c.barnes@barnesit.com
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by c.barnes@barnesit.com » Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:55 pm

What is the helper app?