How to increase the connections on my Asus Router?

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Nordlicht0508
OpenVpn Newbie

How to increase the connections on my Asus Router?

Post by Nordlicht0508 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:59 pm

Hey guys,

I found this forum and was wondering if maybe there is someone here who can help me. I`m currently using ExpressVPN and besides from time to time NordVPN on my Asus RT-AC68U Router. Because I have a Cable-Connection from my ISP I had to put the Router behind my Fritzbox 6360 Cable. I set the Asus Router as "Exposed Host" on my Fritzbox so there is no issue with the Firewall. A thing I need to mention is, that my ISP modified the Fritzbox so much, that even the Bridge-Mode on the Asus Router simply doesn`t work.

I`m facing weird Connection-Issues, no matter which Server I choose from, I`m getting 100K by my ISP but on OpenVPN (UDP) I`m just getting a max of 25K. No matter if on NordVPN or ExpressVPN, it seems like something or someone set my Connection on VPN to that Maximum.

When I`m using both VPN-Services on my Android Smartphone (normal connection by ISP / Client of the VPN Provider), they`re much faster, normally both like 40-50k in Download Speed and I think I could exprect that on my Router as well.

I managed to increase Speed on my Router first by switching the Firmware from Stock to Merlin. Before I used Merlin I had the same problem, just with a bandwith of 17k max.

I already tested some Optional Commands for some VPN-Config files like LZO-Compression, changing the values for mssfix and tun-value but no speed increase so far.

The Additional Configuration for my used Connections:

ExpressVPN

LZO Adaptive - On

Code: Select all

fast-io
remote-random
pull
tls-client
ns-cert-type server
route-method exe
route-delay 2
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1300
mssfix 1200
keysize 256
sndbuf 524288
rcvbuf 524288
push "sndbuf 524288"
push "rcvbuf 524288"

NordVPN

LZO Adaptive - On

Code: Select all

resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
tun-mtu 1400
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1360
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
remote-cert-tls server
pull
fast-io
sndbuf 393216
rcvbuf 393216
push "sndbuf 393216"
push "rcvbuf 393216"
Someone got any idea on that? Changing protocol to a much weaker one (like PPTP or L2TP/IPsec) is NOT an option for me, due to security concerns. Also (and that`s what I heard before) I really don`t think it`s because my Router is too weak to handle higher connections, I checked the workload on my Router while downloading a larger ISO and the CPU (Core 1 + Core 2) and the RAM of the Router both seem to be pretty bored.

I`d love to hear a few suggestions or you experience!