OpenVPN Connect and Tasker on Android 10 don't work (anymore)

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
JKR
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Connect and Tasker on Android 10 don't work (anymore)

Post by JKR » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:55 pm

I use the OpenVPN Connect app in combination with Tasker on my Android phone. I use it with an *.ovpn file to connect to my own OpenVPN Server on my NAS. In Tasker I use the options as described at the end of "FAQ regarding OpenVPN Connect Android" (https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ct-android) on the OpenVPN website. On my previous phone (OnePlus 3 with Android 9) everything worked fine. A few weeks ago I got a new phone (OnePlus 7t with Android 10). I imported the Tasker profile settings from my old phone.

On my new phone Tasker is no longer able to automatically let the OpenVPN Connect app make a connection to my OpenVPN Server. I can manually make a connection with the OpenVPN Connect app. So the settings in the OpenVPN Connect app must be right. I can also make a connection with the OpenVPN Connect app when I run the Tasker profile by hand. But Tasker is not able to make a connection automatically.

I did some research on the Internet. There were other people having the same problems in combination with Android 10. They solved the problem by granting Tasker the special permission called "Display Over Other Apps". But this didn't solved the problem for me. Does anyone have any idea how to let Tasker let automatically connect to my OpenVPN Server with the OpenVPN Connect app on Android 10?

TurnipBibble
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Connect and Tasker on Android 10 don't work (anymore)

Post by TurnipBibble » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:17 pm

Having the same issue. Taskerdoes switch off the vpn but won't switch it on. Have made sure that I name the profile what I wantwhen importing my firewalla profile file. And save the password to the file.

Have tried using both the PC and the AS arguments without luck.

All I am trying to do is geofence the vpn so switches on and off when leaving and getting home

Cheers

Myggo
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: OpenVPN Connect and Tasker on Android 10 don't work (anymore)

Post by Myggo » Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

TurnipBibble wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:17 pm
Having the same issue. Taskerdoes switch off the vpn but won't switch it on. Have made sure that I name the profile what I wantwhen importing my firewalla profile file. And save the password to the file.

Have tried using both the PC and the AS arguments without luck.

All I am trying to do is geofence the vpn so switches on and off when leaving and getting home

Cheers
Any luck getting tasker to work?