Wishlist for new Mac 3.x beta client

This is where we can discuss what we would like to see added or changed in OpenVPN.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jelockwood
OpenVpn Newbie

Wishlist for new Mac 3.x beta client

Post by jelockwood » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:10 am

I cannot find a forum for the Mac OpenVPN client nor a forum for general discussion about the beta versions of the OpenVPN client. This therefore seems the nearest appropriate choice.

The current 'stable' version of the Mac OpenVPN client is 2.7.1.00, the current beta version is 3.1.0 (885) beta.

The 2.7.1.00 version does not support configuration via a Mac compatible MDM - Mobile Device Management server unlike the iOS OpenVPN client. It does of course support getting a configuration directly from the OpenVPN Access Server. However for consistency it would be much preferred if the same configuration options were possible on Mac as for iOS.

Indeed I am interpreting the following statement here https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... ith-macos/ as indicating this is the goal -
We intend to bring a more unified approach to OpenVPN client connectivity across the 5 major platforms. On Android and iOS we have a new client interface that we are now also bringing to macOS. This OpenVPN Connect client for macOS that you can download here is a beta release that will eventually replace the official client above.
I cannot however find any documentation about the beta version to confirm this or the relevant settings. The release notes also do not make it clear if the new Mac client does/will support mobile configs as a configuration method.

On a related topic, the version 2.7.1.100 client did not support instructing the client to import an OVPN config via the command line i.e. shell script unlike I believe what is possible for Linux and Windows clients. Does/will the Mac OpenVPN 3.x client provide a command line interface?

My ultimate goal would be to use our existing MDM solution which is Jamf to generate VPN config profiles sent as mobile configs to both iOS and Mac clients. This would involve not only pushing the VPN settings but also SCEP settings to generate the VPN certificate for each client.