Tap adapter missing .sys file/failing custom tap adapter build

How to customize and extend your OpenVPN installation.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Veinder55
OpenVpn Newbie

Tap adapter missing .sys file/failing custom tap adapter build

Post by Veinder55 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Hello,

I have been trying to build the windows tap adapter v9. I am trying to make it a custom build with a different hardware id and edited config file according to that hardware ID(The reason for this is so the adapter would have a different device description and adapter name.). As described within the openvpn community a tap adapter needs the following things:

<something>.cat: contains cryptographic signature for the actual drivers
<something>.sys: contains the actual driver
<something>.inf: contains driver metadata

When I try to follow the given instructions I do not generate/create the .sys file/ the actual driver. Hence I can not sign and run my tap adapter because this file is non-existant. I understand that I need this file to be able to build this adapter but in the readme, powershell scripts and python scripts the building of this .sys is not mentioned.

I have looked everywhere for information on .sys files and how to build them, it is very possible that I am making an insanely dumb mistake while doing this but I can not seem to figure out where I went wrong.

To sum it up, whenever I try to build and sign my tapapter it fails, I noticed that it is because of a lack of a .sys file in my directory. from within the tap windows6 readme I can not seem to find where I would generate this .sys file hence I am asking for help here.

I appreciate all advice given and if any of the people that respond to this need code or further explaining on the issue I will be happy to do so,

Thanks in advance.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Tap adapter missing .sys file/failing custom tap adapter build

Post by TinCanTech » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:32 pm

What is it that you have downloaded ?
Last edited by TinCanTech on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veinder55
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Tap adapter missing .sys file/failing custom tap adapter build

Post by Veinder55 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:37 pm

I have downloaded the following git repos:
https://github.com/OpenVPN/tap-windows6