ISP blocking DDNS and inbound sessions

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
avgjoe
OpenVpn Newbie

ISP blocking DDNS and inbound sessions

Post by avgjoe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:50 pm

I thought I had this all figured out. Bought a new router that supports DDNS and VPN pass. Was planning to setup OpenVPN on a Pi and get access to all of my internal network devices. Unfortunately, I was blocked at step one. My ISP double NATs my (their) dynamic IP and blocks all inbound session initiation to my router. They say they will open inbound traffic if I buy a static IP, but they want a silly amount of money to do this. I tried working around this but found that DDNS was in fact using a different IP than the whatsmyip services report, and I cannot get to my routers port forward using either address. Crap. I have no other reasonable ISP options in my area.

So here is my question: Does anyone know of some other (free?) way to proxy OpenVPN so that my home OpenVPN Pi can be seen or proxy'd from the public net?

Thanks!

avgjoe
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: ISP blocking DDNS and inbound sessions

Post by avgjoe » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:06 pm

No replies? Does anyone know if OpenVPN is capable of working with an external proxy?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:13 pm

Your best bet is to either pay for a fixed IP or rent a VPS for a VPN server external to your home and have your home connect out to that.

avgjoe
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by avgjoe » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 pm

I was hoping that someone knew of a vps like option that was either free or inexpensive. Perhaps others with similar issues to mine would be interested and we could share the cost through a multiuser setup? I don't see a any information on how to setup OV this way. Perhaps I am not looking for the right thing?