Work in China?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
wallmama
OpenVpn Newbie

Work in China?

Post by wallmama » Mon May 13, 2019 2:27 am

Hello,

Would this software work in China if I install it on a US VPS? Would it be able to bypass the great firewall's deep packet inspection? If so, what's the correct configuration? How does it compare to 3rd party China vpn solutions, services like VyprVPN got customized obfuscation algorithm or sth. Is OpenVPN capable of doing the same?

If this proves to be a better solution for China users, I'd love to recommend it to them. 3rd party solutions can cost a lot.

Thanks.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Work in China?

Post by novaflash » Wed May 15, 2019 10:12 am

The OpenVPN Access Server will work in China, if you yourself are in China. As soon as you try to cross the border with this traffic, you will run into the Great Chinese Firewall. Our OpenVPN Access Server product is not designed to defeat this firewall.

There are VPN providers out there that use OpenVPN open source project with obfuscation that tries to defeat this firewall, with varying degrees of success. But that is not what our OpenVPN Access Server product is about.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

Steve341
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Steve341 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:46 am

Based on my personal experience, if you install an OpenVPN server on a US VPS and then try to connect it from China, it might work for a few days and then will get blocked by the Great Firewall of China and will never work again. I guess the Great Firewall is "smart" enough now to detect plain OpenVPN connections. Yes, some VPN services that still work in China has developed their special version of OpenVPN to bypass the Great Firewall, but as tested by myself, they don't always work either.

john56477
OpenVPN User

Post by john56477 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:11 am

Openvpn has been blocked in China by GFW since Oct 2012.
There is a patch going around that scrambles openvpn. It works. But you need a patched client and server.

But other working solutions are
wireguard,
v2ray,
v2ray+ws+tls+cdn,
shadowsocks with cipher chacha20-ietf-poly1305

There are a multiude of different working solutions using envelopes, e.g. you create a stunnel or obfs4 envelope, and pass openvpn inside.
But it's an absolute pain.

point455
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by point455 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:11 am

@john56477 would u be willing to help with this? willing to pay good since searching desperately for a working vpn solution. i know that there is a way to make it work flawlessly via openvpn