OpenVPN connects but no LAN access

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
yaz1485
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN connects but no LAN access

Post by yaz1485 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Greetings all :)

I am a new user of OpenVPN and have limited technical knowledge. However I have picked up a great deal from watching hours of YouTube videos and guides so I would be very grateful if someone in the community can kindly assist with my issue, and hopefully I will be able to resolve this with the communities help.

SITUATION:

I am using VPN to access my files stored on my Synology NASdrive at home through my laptop and desktop remotely (via a mapped drive on my windows explorer). 

So up until 4 weeks ago I had my NAS setup at home with several shared folders, I had my desktop connected via an ethernet cable to my router, and the NAS drive was connected to my router via ethernet cable also. Due to this setup I was able to create a mapped drive on my windows explorer (on the desktop) which took me directly to the shared photos folder.

I also had a laptop which was connected to my router at home via WIFI and so I was able to create a mapped network drive to the NAS drive. This mapped drive appeared as \192.XXX.X.XX on my laptop's windows explorer.

Now as i was going to be travelling and wanted access to my NAS drive directly from my windows explorer instead of the internet browser interface (Synology Quick connect), i did some research and came across OPENVPN. I setup an OpenVPN server on my Synology Disk Station and also installed the OPENVPN client GUI on my laptop (v11.10.0.0) and after transferring the config files and certificates I was able to open that mapped drive remotely after connecting to my home's LAN through the OpenVPN client. once connected to theOpenVPN server when i typed in the default router address, it brought up the router settings page back home instead of the network that I was connected to.

Unfortunately my desktop had to be moved to my Father's property, but knowing the capabilities of openVPN I have done the same procedure on my desktop - installed OpenVPN client GUI and exported the config files from the VPN server on my NAS drive and moved them into the desktop openvpn config folder. Only this time on the desktop the GUI connects to the server but I am not connected to the LAN back at my home..., the network drive (photos) does not open as it can not be found and It appears that I am still on the LAN at my father's residence because 192.168.0.1 brings up my fathers router settings page and not the settings page of MY router back at home.

Ps. Once I have connected to my OpenVPN server from my desktop, I have tried pinging IP addresses on the HOME LAN through however ingest failed results. Yet the VON server is telling me that my desktop is connected and the openVPN tray icon on the desktop is also connected (green icon)

Can you kindly advise where am i going wrong with the desktop setup of openvpn client?

Many thanks
:)

Yaz

Pippin
Forum Team

Re: OpenVPN connects but no LAN access

Post by Pippin » Sat May 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi,

You need to change the LAN subnet at home.
Look into your router manual on how to do that.

yaz1485
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by yaz1485 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:36 pm

Evening Pippin

Thank you for a prompt response. Just to let you know, the laptop connects remotely and accesses my home LAN. It's just the desktop that doesn't connect back now that it has been setup at my father's property.

Does this still require my LAN subnet to be changed? I have not changed any router settings as yet just incase it stops my laptop from connecting back to my home LAN...then I'm totally screwed lol.

Pippin
Forum Team

Post by Pippin » Sat May 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Should have asked first, is this \192.XXX.X.XX the same as 192.168.0.X ?

And also see here:
viewtopic.php?t=22603
(logs)

yaz1485
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by yaz1485 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Yes. when I first mapped the NAS drive on my laptop from home it appeared on my windows explorer as 192.168.0.X.
When I connect to my OpenVPN server remotely this mapped drive connects only once the openVPN is connected. If I try to access this drive without connecting to OpenVPN the laptop will not find the address.

Note: I have a Virgin media HUB3 router. From a quick Google search I found this router does not allow one to change the subnet mask.

Was the below link a headsup on how to post for this forum?

"And also see here:
viewtopic.php?t=22603
(logs)"

yaz1485
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by yaz1485 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:15 am

Hi

Just following up on this post if anyone had any suggestions for this issue.

Many thanks