Bridge/Route/IP forward 2nd Public IP on the server to a static VPN client IP

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
MrLimo
OpenVpn Newbie

Bridge/Route/IP forward 2nd Public IP on the server to a static VPN client IP

Post by MrLimo » Thu May 02, 2019 5:50 am

I have a Ham Radio device that connects via the internet. The device sets up connections on different ports than it receives the streamed audio/control back on. Even at home I have to statically assign it an IP and forward all packets on specifics port ranges to the device in order for it to work. When traveling I have an expensive VPN with my own public static IP so everything arriving at my Public IP is bridged via VPN to the device and it works even over cell data.

I have a new CentOS OpenVPNAS installation and per OpenVPN’s support they said use the DNZ settings. I can get the web interface to load via http://{server ip} but the audio does not stream and the radio will not transmit(not sure if I’m not getting the streaming audio or loosing the Transmit command/control). Either way the device will not work properly.

The device is an old OS Rasberry Pi so I have edited an OpenVPNAS config to a minimal client.conf that seems to work properly I have a static IP from my OpenVPNAS and I can ping to/from the server and reach the internet on the Servers main IP.

I have tried a couple of times with IPtables but I get confused as to which interfaces I should be using in my statements. I have a commercial account with a Public Static IP mapped/routed/bridged to my commercial account so I know this is possible.

I have now added a 2nd public IP to the server. I’m stuck at the movement do I have to push some routes in my config’s, use IP tables, Add routes to the OpenVPNAS server.

I’m at the point I’m willing to help fund someone’s coffee fund. I’m not married to CentOS I can change OS’s but I would like to keep if possible the configuration within OpenVPNAS so it can me backed up/restored to the same or a different server.

Greg