Connect open-vpn gui without administrator rights

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
apoklyps3
OpenVpn Newbie

Connect open-vpn gui without administrator rights

Post by apoklyps3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi.

I had installed openVPN at my workplace when we used to have local administrator rights and and used it for some years, but now the administrative rights have been removed and when I try to connect it always ask to add open-vpn to administrators group wich, of course, I can't.
Any way to connect again unless I somehow do that task? Since drivers are all installed, TAP & and everything.
Any way to connec while not having administrative rights?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Connect open-vpn gui without administrator rights

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:34 pm

apoklyps3
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by apoklyps3 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm

In other words, at this time, if I get "Require membership in OpenVPN Administrators group" message, I'm screwed, correct?
No way to circumvent that.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 am

Ask Microsoft if there is any way to circumvent their security model.

Afflospark
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Afflospark » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:23 am

I'm afraid, you can't run OpenVPN without admin rights.

if you are using the standard version of OpenVPN then you need to have admin rights to run the OpenVPN.
OpenVPN needs admin rights to add routes and configurations.

Although there are few other tactics to save you from this and run OpenVPN without admin rights.
You can use a beta version of OpenVPN-interactive service, which can run without admin rights and you would be able to run OpenVPN without admin rights.

If nothing works for you then you can use online proxy websites(follow this article https://www.experthoot.com/proxy-sites/ ) to surf the internet without any restriction.

Thanks

neradp
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by neradp » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:59 am

If you are a administrator, and wish your users to have lower rights, then you can use tool like AutoIT.

Look at RunAS and https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/do ... mpiler.htm

You can produce executable file which will run openvpn-gui with admin privileges without user knowing admin password.