[Solved] TAP-windows adapter installed but not visible

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
denis8991
OpenVpn Newbie

[Solved] TAP-windows adapter installed but not visible

Post by denis8991 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 pm

I've just been trying to set up a VPN connection to my home network using a Netgear Nighthawk router. All going well until I get to finding the TAP-Windows adapter in Network Connections in the Control Panel. The TAP adapter isn't there; however, the files are in the correct folder in program files, it appears in Device Manager and in the Registry, complete with the tap0901 setting, which appears was an issue a while ago.

I've tried re-installing, restarting etc but without success. One website I found suggested the commands "Add a new TAP virtual ethernet adapter" and "Delete all TAP virtual ethernet adapters". The first one comes back with "tapinstall.exe failed" and the second "remove failed".

Any suggestions?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: TAP-windows adapter installed but not visible

Post by TinCanTech » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 pm

Which version of Windows ?

Which version of Openvpn ?

denis8991
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by denis8991 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:04 am

Hi

Running Windows 10 (uptodate) and OpenVPN 2.4.7. I also tried with 2.4.6 but with the same results.

Denis

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:40 pm

denis8991 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:51 pm
One website I found suggested the commands "Add a new TAP virtual ethernet adapter" and "Delete all TAP virtual ethernet adapters".
These must be run as administrator.

You could try disabling your Anti-Virus ..

We do not have much information about Windows installation failures.

denis8991
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by denis8991 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:23 am

Thank you. I ran the tapinstall executable as administrator and I now see a correct TAP network connection.

Problem solved!

Denis