Autostart OpenVPN-GUI

This forum is for general conversation and user-user networking.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

appman999
OpenVpn Newbie

Autostart OpenVPN-GUI

Post by appman999 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 pm

I have been successfully using the Windows OpenVPN-GUI client to connect to my Raspberry VPN server for some years.

It automatically starts on booting Windows and connects to my server. I also have commercial servers imported to which I can then connect for different uses.

However I now no longer want to connect to the Raspberry but instead connect by default to one of the commercial servers but I don't seem to be able to get OpenVPN-GUI to forget my Raspberry server.

I uninstalled OpenVPN-GUI and made sure the two Openvpn folders (one in programs and one in user) were deleted. I then reinstalled it importing just the commercial.ovpn file but when rebooting it get the error message 'Cannot find requested config to autostart: Raspberry.ovpn. If I then restart OpenVPN-GUI I can connect to commercial.ovpn.

As it is a fresh install I don't know why it is looking for Raspberry.ovpn? I have searched through the registry looking for a broken link, looked in Task Scheduler in case I had set one up and forgotten, and used services.msc to make sure there wasn't something there, but all to no avail.

Can anyone help advise where a reference to a defunct OpenVPN server could be lurking and not removed by a fresh installation.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN-GUI

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Try sysinternals autoruns

appman999
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by appman999 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks for that, it was a quicker way of searching than mine but unfortunately still didn't turn up any references to the old ovpn reference.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:23 pm

appman999
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by appman999 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:26 pm

Thanks again but I've no problem with the installation or usage, it just appears that the autostart ovpn that I have been using is stored somewhere else in Windows and despite reinstalling OpenVPN-GUI it still looks for it even though I don't use it anymore.

As I said originally I have searched through the registry and the default folders but there is nothing there.

Do you know anywhere else it stores settings?

appman999
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Autostart OpenVPN-GUI

Post by appman999 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm

For any others who come across this problem (of a phantom ovpn file link) I have removed the error by running the following commands in terminal to flush out the dns caches (thanks to Matthew Adams on Windowsreport).

netsh interface ip delete arpcache
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

Now I just have to set up OpenVPN-GUI to autosatrt and autoconnect to my new commercial.ovpn

appman999
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Autostart OpenVPN-GUI

Post by appman999 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:22 pm

While setting my OpenVPN to autostart and autoconnect I found a link to the old Raspberry.ovpn in %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. I thought I had looked here before but obviously not.