Connections not working on iPad

Official client software for OpenVPN Access Server and OpenVPN Cloud.
terencejackson
OpenVpn Newbie

Connections not working on iPad

Post by terencejackson » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Dear all,

I am using the same OVPN configuration for an iPhone, Desktop and a iPad.
On the iPhone and the Desktop (Windows) it works like a charm and I can do everything on the Internet and Intranet.
On the iPad I am able to connect, but I am not able to connect to any Intranet server (I am trying via SSH and Browser) nor to any Intranet URL.

I am using Version 3.0.2.(894) of the iPad app.

Does anyone of you experienced the same thing and was able to fix it?

Please let me know if you need additional information. I’d be glad to provide whatever possible.

TJ

some_random_idiot
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Connections not working on iPad

Post by some_random_idiot » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi terencejackson,

I think I have the same problem. I am connecting to a StormShield firewall. PC/laptop works, my iPhone works while every other iPhone/iPad I try does not. The only difference I can find is that I already have the OpenVPN iOS-client on my iPhone for a long time, and all the other iOS-devices I try are 3.0.2 (894) when I first installed them. To be correct: I do have the latest version 3.0.2 (894) on my iPhone.

If I consult the log this is the only difference I found:

My iPhone shows me this:
IV_GUI_VER=net.openvpn.connect.ios 3.0.2-894
IV_VER=3.2
IV_PLAT=ios
IV_LZO_STUB=1
IV_COMP_STUB=1

While my iPad shows me the following:
IV_GUI_VER=net.openvpn.connect.ios 3.0.2-894
IV_VER=3.2
IV_PLAT=ios
IV_NCP=2
IV_TCPNL=1
IV_PROTO=2
IV_LZO_STUB=1
IV_COMP_STUB=1
IV_COMP_STUBv2=1

This puzzles me immensely. I deleted the profiles and retried from scratch with all the devices. I also tried connecting with several StormShields, with the same results. Only my iPhone works and of course PC's and laptops.

some_random_idiot
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by some_random_idiot » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 pm

I was able to test this on a second iOS-device which had OpenVPN installed for a long time and there it also works immediately. This means that the OpenVPN-app which was installed a while ago keeps some configuration that differs from the one that is installed when you install the most recent version of OpenVPN when there was no other version present in the past. We have purchased several extra iOS-devices so if SSL-VPN does not work on the new ones this is a disaster...

Is there really no one who can shed a light on this? Is there another way to get support?

some_random_idiot
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by some_random_idiot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:44 pm

The solution was changing the cipher via CLI in our firewall via a series of commands. Solution provided by StormShield Support.

terencejackson
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by terencejackson » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:28 pm

@tvaneecke@silicon.be Thanks for your answer. I will try the same.