BSOD bootloop (0xc000021a) after installing OpenVPN

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
MarTex
OpenVpn Newbie

BSOD bootloop (0xc000021a) after installing OpenVPN

Post by MarTex » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:49 am

Hi there. As you might notice I'm new here and I'm having a rough start. I hope I didn't post this in the wrong place, and if it's the case, my apologies.
My Windows 10 is stuck in a bootloop (BSOD 0xc00021a) since I installed OpenVPN client. Safe mode also crashes and for some reason I discovered I have no restore points (duh!). So I'm starting to get somewhat desperate, because I exhausted all the possible solutions I could find after quite some googling using the console in the recovery mode :
  • Tried WMIC to uninstall, but "wmic product get name" throwhs the error "invalid class"
  • Tried browsing to the OpenVPN program folder searching for some other uninstall option (e.g. msi) with no success.
  • Uninstalled a few drivers I thought plausible, from those offered to me by the DISM command: vonva-6.inf (Cisco Annyconnect VPN I guess), avmaura.inf (FritzBox remote USB interface) and qcm20q.inf (Quanta Computer, no clue where it comes from). No OpenVPN-related driver seemed to appear.
  • Renamed the OpenVPN installation folder (yeah, I'm starting to get desperate, I urgently need my PC and a few recently modified files)
Any idea about how I could uninstall OpenVPN, or at least boot into safe mode? Maybe if someone could tell me the exact program name (for WMIC) or the driver files of OpenVPN that might already help. Or some workaround to edit startup drivers and services from this awful recovery command line?
Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated!
Regards!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: BSOD bootloop (0xc000021a) after installing OpenVPN

Post by TinCanTech » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm

Which openvpn product did you install because there are a few to choose from ..?

MarTex
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by MarTex » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:33 am

TinCanTech wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:50 pm
Which openvpn product did you install because there are a few to choose from ..?
Thanks for the reply TinCanTech, and apologies for my delay, I couldn't get online yesterday.

Indeed, among all my details, I missed to clarify the most important point: I downloaded the latest OpenVPN Client installer: https://swupdate.openvpn.org/community/ ... 6-I602.exe

I very much hope you can help me. I really need my PC back ASAP and formatting would be extremely inconvenient right now.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:11 pm

This is more or less all the information we have regarding installation problems:
https://community.openvpn.net/openvpn/w ... onproblems

I don't know how much help that will be though.

If you can get to the recovery console, you may be able to use
  • "C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\deltapall.bat"
  • Which runs: "C:\Program Files\TAP-Windows\bin\tapinstall.exe" remove tap0901
to remove the driver.

MarTex
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by MarTex » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:27 pm

Hi TinCanTech,

thanks a lot again for your reply!

I found (making a "dir /s" search) the tapinstall.exe under Program Files (x86)/OpenVPN Technologies/... but not "deltapall.bat".
Remove tap0901 did nothing, so I went crazy/impatient and made remove * which removed like 76 drivers :-S...

Still, stuck in bootloop, even for safe mode.

I'm about to give up, try to save the most important files somehow and make a fresh install... although this would be quite painful and a huge waste of time for multiple reasons :-(

Any other suggestions?

Regards!

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:34 am

MarTex wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:27 pm
so I went crazy/impatient and made remove * which removed like 76 drivers :-S...

Still, stuck in bootloop, even for safe mode.

I'm about to give up, try to save the most important files somehow and make a fresh install...
even backups fail .. I would just do it

Alternatively, you could clearly document your problem and submit a bug report.

However, on this occasion, OpenVPN are in the process of updating their TAP driver
so, if you are patient, it just might work some time soon :D

MarTex
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by MarTex » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:12 am

Don't you think I could still clean the mess up somehow with WMIC or DISM? Maybe if someone gave the the exact product name for WMIC?

I basically do have backups (NAS etc), but not of the last couple of random things I made.

I could format some other SSD and set up a clean windows, but it's a huge waste of time to reinstall and configure everything.

Please any last shot I could make?