OpenVPN Client and Windows XP

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
peterpies
OpenVpn Newbie

OpenVPN Client and Windows XP

Post by peterpies » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Please excuse my ignorace in these matters, if I fumble please point me in the right direction.
Overview: Have installed OpenVPN client version 2.3.18 on Windows XP system, downloaded config files from 2 x VPN servers, and attempted to connect. First connection to server #1 failed to connect, block-outside-dns errors in log, using that servers config files. Second connection to server #2 connected with their config files no problem. Looked at the first config file and found command block-outside-dns, commented this out and low and behold this was able to connect no problem.
Q1: Does XP support this switch, block-outside-dns, or am I missing something.

Checked both connections with dsnleak facility, both leaked so attempted to apply the fix they state is appropriaten for XP version and named dnsleakfix, which supposedly flushes dns cache etc. via some batch and vb script files. This did not appear to solve the leaking problem, they also outline a manual procedure for carrying this out.
On attempting to follow these commands at the cmd level a number of the netsh commands were not valid on my system, such as set dnnserver
Q2: Do I need some other version of netsh etc. to perform these functions, or yet again am I missing some.

Your kind help on this would be most appreciated.

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: OpenVPN Client and Windows XP

Post by TinCanTech » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:19 pm

peterpies wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:40 pm
Q1: Does XP support this switch, block-outside-dns,
No, it does not .. but it is not required for XP either.

Please see:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22603

peterpies
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by peterpies » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:55 pm

TinCanTech, thank you very much for your concise reponse, I did hope I had included enough information to support my request. I have read your directions and understand explicitly. Could I respectfully ask that you expand on the answer you gave. Noted: It does not require it. yet it does leak according to the tests.
regarding my second question regarding Netsh, do you respectfully have any information regarding this or am I left to research this personally.

Kind Regards

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Post by TinCanTech » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:43 pm

Respectfully .. log file at verb 4 (as described above)

And note: We do not support online service providers.