What is the easiest way to upgrade from a 50-license AWS Marketplace server to 100-license?

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
jepstein
OpenVpn Newbie

What is the easiest way to upgrade from a 50-license AWS Marketplace server to 100-license?

Post by jepstein » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi,

Ideally this would be as simple as Stopping my 50-instance license and bringing it back up with a large Instance Type.

But I haven't found any documentation on this subject.

What if anything do I need to back-up and subsequently restore? Do I need to stop my current instance and then "purchase" a new 100-license instance on the AWS Marketplace?

Would it be substantially easier just to purchase an additional 50-user license (actually 30 would be sufficient for me) directly from OpenVPN? If so, how do I install that license on my current instance? The current instance type is c3.xlarge which might or might not be adequate.

Thanks ...

jepstein
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: What is the easiest way to upgrade from a 50-license AWS Marketplace server to 100-license?

Post by jepstein » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:00 pm

https://openvpn.net/index.php/access-se ... rvice.html

says
FAQ Amazon Web Services
Can I upgrade or downgrade my service?

You can upgrade or downgrade your TIERED Access Server plan at any time as your requirements change and your bill will be pro-rated accordingly with all charges consolidated through Amazon billing.
but it doesn't say how to achieve that.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: What is the easiest way to upgrade from a 50-license AWS Marketplace server to 100-license?

Post by novaflash » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:34 pm

So the way this works is that these tiered instances are billed hourly. So at any time you can stop such an instance, and set up a new one with another amount of licensed connections. You can migrate data from one to another using a backup/restore procedure.

There is no direct way to just change the amount.

See also the official documentation website, specifically this FAQ item:
https://docs.openvpn.net/faqs/frequentl ... the_amount
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

chinesescouser
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by chinesescouser » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 pm

Sounds like the same process to downgrade correct?

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Exactly the same, yes.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

jmunoz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jmunoz » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:29 am

I'm sure this is something simple but it's passing me over.. the instructions to backup the current instance state "use the command with root privileges". Normally I would use the su command but being and EC2 it uses the auth key to login. the su command asks for a password which there isn't. How do we run the command string to make the backup as root in these AWS instances?

mfasen
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by mfasen » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:13 pm

You can use "sudo" in front of the command to execute the command as root, it won't ask for a password then.

jmunoz
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jmunoz » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:04 am

using the instructions on https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resource ... tallation/
it gives this command to make the backups

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/openvpn_as/etc/db
[ -e config.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 config.db .dump>../../config.db.bak
[ -e certs.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 certs.db .dump>../../certs.db.bak
[ -e userprop.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 userprop.db .dump>../../userprop.db.bak
[ -e log.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 log.db .dump>../../log.db.bak
[ -e config_local.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 config_local.db .dump>../../config_local.db.bak
[ -e cluster.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 cluster.db .dump>../../cluster.db.bak
[ -e clusterdb.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 clusterdb.db .dump>../../clusterdb.db.bak
[ -e notification.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 notification.db .dump>../../notification.db.bak
cp ../as.conf ../../as.conf.bak

so I'm able to change the directory without root privileges but I can't do the dumps

openvpnas@ip-10-231-8-181:/usr/local/openvpn_as/etc/db$ [ -e config.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 config.db .dump>../../config.db.bak
-bash: ../../config.db.bak: Permission denied
even if I add sudo to the beginning I still get a permission denied.

openvpnas@ip-10-231-8-181:/usr/local/openvpn_as/etc/db$ sudo [ -e config.db ]&&../../bin/sqlite3 config.db .dump>../../config.db.bak
-bash: ../../config.db.bak: Permission denied