VMWare Linux client and the big bad host

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
CTorporWork
OpenVpn Newbie

VMWare Linux client and the big bad host

Post by CTorporWork » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 am

Hello all,

I am currently trying to connect to a business OpenVPN server to provide support for customers from home. And I am ..somewhat.. successful.

I am able to connect from a VMWare Mandriva client to the OpenVPN Windows Server machine. I get the connection successful dialog in kVPNc and everything! Now I connect from a VM because the guy I work for prefers that all incoming connections come from a Linux client. However, once I am connected I cannot resolve any addresses at all.

I use the exact same settings on a netbook using a Verizon wireless access card and am able to connect and resolve domains.

I use a bridged ethernet connection to the VM host from the client, but I seem to be missing something. I got the impression from something I read that the client may be trying to put the VM host NIC into promiscuous mode without having the privileges to do so, but I'm in over my head at this point. Could someone point me in the right direction?

krzee
Forum Team

Re: VMWare Linux client and the big bad host

Post by krzee » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:50 pm

sounds like your client is using a nameserver that can only be accessed from a host on that ISP.
try using 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8 as your nameserver for that client