Ubuntu+OpenvpnAs Server loses networking after 4 hours.

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
jgrassler
OpenVpn Newbie

Ubuntu+OpenvpnAs Server loses networking after 4 hours.

Post by jgrassler » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am

Hi guys!
I am in the process of deploying an openvpn AS for our company and was using one without a license for some days without issues.
Next step would have been to add more users and get a license but i ran into a strange issue.

My zabbix monitoring reveals, that the server loses all its networking abilities after 4 hours of a restart.

It becomes unreachable over ssh ect. but the machine is still running and working fine if you connect over the gui of the vm's host :proxmox , so no kernelpanic ect.

Ive been searching the logs for hours, also firewall logs ect, to find out whats the reason but other than "cant reach ntp server" after the connection is gone there is no indication of something failing or running at the moment of the network failure.

The installtion is a Ubuntu Server 16.04 lts plus the newest package of openvpnas, other that that there is just the certbot and a texteditor and a zabbix agent.

Long story short:
After 4 hours networking is messed up:
I can ping the firewalls ip, but nothing else outside of that subnet or internet
works.
A reboot fixes the issue for 4 hours and everything works fine again.

Do you guys have an idea or could you point me into a direction?
I will reinstall everything, if i cant find a fix but id rather know what the issue is, since i want to deploy and trust the AS later.

thanks and greets, Josef.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Re: Ubuntu+OpenvpnAs Server loses networking after 4 hours.

Post by novaflash » Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 pm

4 hours is pretty weird, only a scheduled thing seems likely to be the cause of this but I don't know.

If the machine is completely unresponsive over the network, it seems rather unlikely that Access Server is doing this, but that it is something in the operating system instead.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.

jgrassler
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jgrassler » Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 pm

hm, It must have been the certbot.
I did a new installation and the issue is gone.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Mon May 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Great.            
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.