Trying to use OpenVPN routing

Business solution to host your own OpenVPN server with web management interface and bundled clients.
CP
OpenVpn Newbie

Trying to use OpenVPN routing

Post by CP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:31 am

Pardon the newb question, I'm trying to allow two Windows 10 Pro computers to talk to each other through OpenVPN on our Vultr VPS.
I'm following the instructions here:
https://www.vultr.com/docs/one-click-openvpn
I changed the routing settings on the "VPN Settings" section of the AS control panel.
On the VPN settings page https://<IP>/admin/vpn_settings
Under the routing section, I chose "Yes, using routing (advanced)" under "Should VPN clients have access to private subnets (non-public networks on the server side)?".
In the "Specify the private subnets..." box, I entered 172.27.224.0/20.
I clicked "Save Settings". Then clicked "Update Running Server".
In the icon tray in each computer I chose Options, VPN Protocol, TCP, then connect.
The address of one computer was 172.27.224.2 and the other was 172.27.224.3. Each one can ping themselves and the gateway 172.27.224.1, however they cannot ping each other.
Under the routing section, I also tried choosing "Yes, using NAT" and this made no difference.
For Should client Internet traffic be routed through the VPN? I have Yes.
For Should clients be allowed to access network services on the VPN gateway IP address? I have Yes.
Help!
Last edited by CP on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

CP
OpenVpn Newbie

Re: Trying to use OpenVPN routing

Post by CP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 am

I should have mentioned, I'll also want to connect Windows Server 2012 R2 standard, in case that needs any special configuration.

CP
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by CP » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:04 pm

It turns out the setting I missed was "Inter-client connectivity" under Advanced VPN, this also needs to be set to Yes.

novaflash
OpenVPN Inc.

Post by novaflash » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Yep. And additionally I want to add that a lot of the time when we see issues connecting to a Windows computer over the network, very often the windows firewall is the issue. So if you are reading this thread and encounter problems also try disabling that just to be sure.
I'm still alive, just posting under the openvpn_inc alias now as part of a larger group.