Issue with TAP driver on Windows 7 (32-bit)

This forum is for all inquiries relating to the installation of OpenVPN from source and with binaries.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please visit (and READ) the OpenVPN HowTo http://openvpn.net/howto prior to asking any questions in here!
Zero3K
OpenVpn Newbie

Issue with TAP driver on Windows 7 (32-bit)

Post by Zero3K » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:03 am

When I connect to a configuration using OpenVPN, my Local Area Connection changes to "Unidentified network" status. When I go to "Network and Sharing Center" via Control Panel, it shows two networks (iUNMETERED, which is the name I gave the Network Connection that OpenVPN made, and "Unidentifed network", which is supposed to be called Network). The version of OpenVPN that I have installed is v2.1.1.

Douglas
Forum Team

Re: Issue with TAP driver on Windows 7 (32-bit)

Post by Douglas » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:12 am

Zero3K wrote:When I connect to a configuration using OpenVPN, my Local Area Connection changes to "Unidentified network" status. When I go to "Network and Sharing Center" via Control Panel, it shows two networks (iUNMETERED, which is the name I gave the Network Connection that OpenVPN made, and "Unidentifed network", which is supposed to be called Network). The version of OpenVPN that I have installed is v2.1.1.
So what exactly is the issue? It must be late because I am not seeing it.

Zero3K
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Zero3K » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:27 am

The network isn't being correctly identified on my "Local Area Connection" after connecting to a VPN server with OpenVPN. I think I fixed it by setting a specific DNS server (instead of it being automatically assigned) for that connection.

Zero3K
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Zero3K » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 am

But, disconnecting and reconnecting causes the issue to come back. So, changing the IP settings of the "Local Area Connection" is only a temporary fix.

Zero3K
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by Zero3K » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:12 am

Well, I fixed the issue by adding "redirect-gateway def1" to the config file that I use to connect to the VPN server.