Trying to test OpenVPN on local intranet

This forum is for admins who are looking to build or expand their OpenVPN setup.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
georger^
OpenVpn Newbie

Trying to test OpenVPN on local intranet

Post by georger^ » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm

I have two computers, one desktop, the other a laptop. Both are running Ubuntu 16.04. Both have OpenVPN installed. I also have two books, "Mastering OpenVPN" and "OpenVPN Cookbook". I am attempting to step through the examples in the book in order to learn OpenVPN.

The first example in "Mastering OpenVPN" [p. 27] is setting up a Point-to-Point mode connection over my local intranet. This is a "clear text" connection with no authentication. I first start the server [desktop] with the terminal command: "openvpn --ifconfig 10.200.0.1 10.200.0.2 --dev tun". This works fine. Then I try to start the client with the terminal command: "openvpn --ifconfig 10.200.0.2 10.200.0.1 --dev tun --remote openvpnserver.example.com". This does not work: the software cannot resolve the "remote..." portion of the command. When I try to connect to the "openvpnserver.example.com" in a browser, it cannot find it.

At his point in my VPN education I have no clue what to do next. I would like to be able to go through the examples in the book, including certificate generation, encryption, and authentication. Can someone help me through the next step?

TinCanTech
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Trying to test OpenVPN on local intranet

Post by TinCanTech » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:30 pm

georger^ wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:43 pm
example.com
There is no such host .. it is an internet standard and will normally resolve to localhost.

You need either a DNS name for your server or use the IP address in --remote