Proxy Server HTTP Connect not encrypted

Need help configuring your VPN? Just post here and you'll get that help.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

Forum rules
Please use the [oconf] BB tag for openvpn Configurations. See viewtopic.php?f=30&t=21589 for an example.
markijones
OpenVpn Newbie

Proxy Server HTTP Connect not encrypted

Post by markijones » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:58 pm

I have a network configuration with an Apache Http proxy server inside a DMZ, and with an OpenVPN server behind the inside firewall. I'm new to OpenVPN, and as far as secure encryption is concerned, I'm sure my configuration leaves a lot to be desired. But with this first time current configuration (see below) everything works fine, and I get the tunneling functionality that I want with the client being able to access machines behind the inside firewall.

My issue is that the initial HTTP Connect request (and response), which is port forwarded through the outside firewall to the Apache Http server, is in plain HTTP and not encrypted. I've tried various configuration changes, but I cannot get the client to initiate the HTTP Connect request with an SSL/TLS ClientHello. Is there someone who can point me to the correct client configuration to make this happen? Thank you.

Mark

Client Configuration (Windows Client):

client
proto tcp
dev tun
http-proxy 192.168.1.97 80
remote openvpnserver 1194
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
cipher DES-EDE3-CBC
auth SHA512