[Solved] Firewall help Raspberry Pi SSH

Scripts with setup, destroy, and modify routing tables and firewall rulesets for client connections.

Moderators: TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech, TinCanTech

jacklawry
OpenVpn Newbie

[Solved] Firewall help Raspberry Pi SSH

Post by jacklawry » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Hi, I have setup openvpn on my raspberry Pi at home so I can access my home network from anywhere this is all working great. However, I want to enable my firewall on the Pi but when I do I cannot access the Internet on connected devices or access other devices on the home network.

Currently I am having to connect to the VPN, then SSH to the Pi (via its local address), disable the firewall, do whatever I wanted to do then enable the firewall again when I am finished.

Anyone know what I need to allow through? I have tried to alow all local (192.168.1.0/24) and all VPN range local traffic (10.8.0.0/24) but it's still not working.

Many thanks,
Jack

Traffic
OpenVPN Protagonist

Re: Firewall help

Post by Traffic » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:23 pm

Allow all and install fail2ban.

:mrgreen:

jacklawry
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jacklawry » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:52 am

Hi Traffic,

Thanks for your reply and I will checkout fail2ban as it could be a nice addition.

But my issue must be a Pi firewall rule issues as when I disable the Pi firewall it all works fine.

I would like to use my current firewall (UFW) but perhaps fail2ban in addition. I understand with fail2ban people COULD (& I know it's unlikely) access services (if they guessed the password early enough).

With the firewall I can block certain internal ports from everyone except the computer that I need it to access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacklawry
OpenVpn Newbie

Post by jacklawry » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:30 pm

The solution that worked for me is:

Code: Select all

$ sudo nano /etc/default/ufw
Then find:

Code: Select all

DEFAULT_FORWARD_POLICY="DROP"
Change to: